Chapter 12

Hinata was happy.
Kageyama had invited him for pork buns and Karasuno's personal sunshine had no idea why but didn't care either.

Pork. Buns.

That didn't need any reason.

And so, he chewed happily on his food with Kageyama next to him, who enjoyed the milkshake Asahi had given to him to thank him for his help with Nishinoya. These two friends had had a long chat about this special spot on their favorite birds and agreed to try research about more they liked.
Well, Kageyama just needed an excuse to keep invading Hinata's personal space, even when the boy himself didn't seem to have any sense of that either. His stomach still doubled over with love whenever Hinata was close and especially when he lived out his habit to wrap one of his wings around Kageyama.

"Why do you always hug me with your wings?"
There. He had finally asked. Hinata swallowed the large bite he took and Kageyama's eyes followed the motion of his delicate throat with a shiver. The middle blocker slowly lowered his wing, away from Kageyama.
"Hmm... No idea!! It's just a habit. But when you don't like it-"
"N-NO no!! It's fine!! Totally fine!! I-I was just curious!! I-I... I like i-it..." Kageyama spluttered loudly and both avoided to look at each other, flustered as they were, and Hinata's wing returned to its place around Kageyama's well built yet slim body.
"Uhh... W-wanna leave?" the setter finally suggested and Hinata agreed hastily, turning to leave in a fast pace.

Never ever would Kageyama give up his soft and feathery blanket which followed him around like a puppy. He realized why Azumane was envious, Nishinoya and he weren't this far.

Speaking of Asahi, the Karasuno setter walked down the street to get home as he bumped into Iwaizumi. Mildly surprised yet pleased, Asahi allowed Iwaizumi to tangle him up inside a conversation which subsconciously shifted to the topic of winged children.
"Do you believe in such things, Azumane?"
Iwaizumi's voice was uninterested, perhaps even emotionless and yet Asahi had the disturbing urge to flee. His instincts and gut screamed at him to turn and run and that as far away as possible from Iwaizumi.
"I don't particular think it's impossible, just think about what kinds of creatures nature produced and evolved further. But..." the ace trailed off, starting to feel a little sick at Iwaizumi's piercing glare from his side.
"But?" he pried further, innocent as ever.
"I-I... I never saw one, so perhaps it's just a myth?" Asahi helplessly ended and Iwaizumi's breath hitched for a second. Did Asahi imagine that? Probably.
"Sounds just too crazy to be true, huh? I'm glad you're not believing every little thing like Shittykawa."

A lie.

A lie.

A LIE.

Iwaizumi snickered in his thoughts and switched the topic, clearly noticing how uncomfortable Asahi was. He wasn't about to drive his only source to reliable information away, however, it almost seemed like Asahi knew more than the first time they casually chatted with each other.
Perhaps he met even more of those mystical creatures?
Iwaizumi was fuming with jealousy. He couldn't just accept that and if necessary, he would squish every bit of information out of Karasuno's ace. It wasn't like Azumane was good at defending himself or had any experience with punching people into dust, Iwaizumi knew these rumors about him were far from true.

Hajime was going to stay patient, just a little bit. It was all up to Azumane, either he told him on his own or he saw himself forced to squish every last drop out of him.

"See you, Iwaizumi! Thank you for accompanying me!" Asahi chirped so innocent and clueless at his porch and Iwaizumi smiled back and waved.
"Friends do such things for each other! Hope to see ya soon, Azumane. Save me next time from Crappykawa to make up, got it?"
"Ha ha, sure! Just give me a call and I'll excuse you."
Asahi's door closed and Hajime's smile fell like a curtain. He hated lies and Azumane was going to feel that just like Oikawa.

The next day on his way to school, Hinata saw a large shadow in middle of a dark alleyway and stopped his bike.
"H-hello...?" he asked, dared to inch closer from the light into the darkness, and two glowing brown eyes stared right back at him.
"A-a m-m... m-m... monster...!!!" Hinata screeched, jumped onto his bike and drove off. Holy shit. Something gigantic with glowing eyes had just stared at him. A monster. Definitely. He needed Kageyama and that right now.

The blue eyed setter barely registrated a gust of wind as he found himself the victim of a bone crushing hug.
"KAGEYAMA!!"
Said one shielded his ears from the incredible volume and snarled a "What is it dumbass?!" right back at him.
"A-a monster!! K-Kageyama there was a monster!! I-I know it!!"
"A monster...?" Kageyama cluelessly repeated and Hinata started to ramble about this horrifying experience until the setter promised him to check it later on.

After a painful and long school day and with Asahi in tow (Kageyama forced him because he looked tall and intimidating, even though he was positively shaking like a leaf) Kageyama entered the dark alleyway with Hinata halfway hiding behind him, invisible wings draped around Kageyama's belly in a tight hug.
"Would you let go of me?! I can barely walk!" he hissed under his breath and Hinata chose to cling instead onto Asahi's arm who nearly screamed at the sudden body contact.

A sudden noise interrupted their silent bickering and all eyes darted over to the few dumpsters. Something was there.
"O-oi!! You w-wanna fight?!" Hinata yelled in fake confidence with a really highpitched voice and Asahi shushed him down because you don't want to fight with monsters. Suddenly, something within the dark moved and those glimming brown eyes stared back at them once again. Asahi screamed and jumped behind Kageyama with the middle blocker still clinging onto him while setter took a fearless step forward.
"Show yourself!" he snarled, body language dripping of confidence. Hinata behind him couldn't help but stare.

His friend wanted to fight a monster for him.

His protective and fearless setter.

His Kageyama Tobio.

His heart skipped a tiny beat and warm cozy feelings gurgled within his stomach, god, he wanted to play volleyball with him against Shiratorizawa right away.
Hinata's attention flickered back towards reality as the dark and scarily gigantic thing moved again, closer and closer into a light.

Asahi jawdropped, Kageyama backed away, Hinata paled. That wasn't a monster.
It had ears akin to a white husky and a long comfortable tail, long and sharp teeth and feral glimming brown eyes, but this definitely wasn't a monster. Hinata was the first one to catch his breath.

"Aone?!"