- Difficult Choices -

By the time you and Allison had pulled up to the small, homely cabin, the sun was bright in the sky, and it looked like no one was home. Parking at the fork in the dirt road, Allison checked the small binder beside her to make sure that you were at the right address.

"Stay here, okay?"

You looked at her from the corner of your eye. "Absolutely not."

She did a double-take and looked at you with a very wounded expression, "What? Why?"

Stepping out of the car, you leaned down a bit to say, "If I had your track record with having actual, pleasant conversations with Vanya, you wouldn't let me go alone either."

You watched as she opened the car door with a sigh and climbed out, you trailing behind her. She then scurried under the tall deck of the house, as she slowly approached a window, peering into it. You had to choke back a bark of laughter as a bird flew up, startling her. "Not funny," she grumbled at you. 

"Just a little," you cheekily replied. 

After she peered into the window closest to her, she grabbed your hand and pulled you back to the car. You imagined she forgot that you were the same age, as you felt like a child getting ushered along by a parent. Opening the driver door she spoke to you over the top of the car, "Well, one thing's for sure: Vanya was definitely there at some point."

You shot her a look of inquiry, glancing between her and the window you had been standing near.

"Her violin is in there."

You grimaced, the violin meant she was probably being taken care of - as well as that she had gone willingly.

"What do we do now?" Allison quietly asked.

Your mouth puckered in thought. "Hell if I know," you muttered. "But for now, let's settle with looking around the town."

Without another word, Allison started the car and began driving away from the seemingly peaceful little home.

Five

When I woke up, (Y/n) wasn't anywhere to be found. Instead, I'd been met with a small furry creature sitting on my chest. As I had shifted to sit up, Dzie had followed my movements, jumping to my lap.

"I have a feeling you aren't going to leave me alone, are you?" I said to the . . . rodent?

The silent stare the ferret replied with was enough of an answer. Not a rodent, weasel family, I recalled. I hesitantly reached out for the mammal. How do I even pick you up? Luckily, Dzie didn't put up a fight as I awkwardly gathered him in my arms, he didn't even flinch when I marveled at his ridiculous flexibility - it was like holding a fuzzy slinky. As it nuzzled into me, I could see why (Y/n) insisted on keeping him around.

I carefully got out of bed, careful to make sure I didn't drop Dzie. Walking down the stairs, I passed by a girl in a strange, fur-covered outfit who had been exiting Luther's room. How classy, I thought, rolling my eyes. Arriving in the kitchen, I found Klaus and Luther speaking intently about something. However, my main focus was on the cup in Luther's hand. Shifting Dzie to one arm, I snatched the mug and took a sip of what smelled like coffee.

It did not taste like it.

"Jesus, is it really that hard to make a decent cup of coffee?" I grumbled. The ferret in my arm sniffed at the murky substance. A small squeak of a sneeze quickly followed, sending a tremor through Dzie's small frame.

Luther and Klaus both stared at Dzie as he peered over the edge of the table before Klaus spoke. "Anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison?" He gestured to Dzie, "(Y/n)?" When he was met with silence, Klaus huffed, "Then I guess this is the closest to a full-fledged family meeting . . ." he banged on the table with a spatula, eliciting a few winces from a hungover-looking Luther, " . . . that we're gonna get. Now, shut up and listen up. I really hate to be the one to break this news, especially like this, but . . . Yeah."