- A Lanky Situation -

Warnings (These are going to be a thing now, we all know how triggering the second season was): Another 7DS reference - if you squint, fighting, blood(?).

XxXxX

You had known something was up the moment you walked into the building that evening and a tall guy called "Ban" had said Boss needed you in his office. The walk to the door was silent, and anyone who happened to pass by looked as if they were doing so as quickly as possible. Your frown deepened as you heard muffled, yet raised voices coming from down the hall. The sound increased in volume as you got closer to your destination, reaching it's quieted peak as you came to a halt in front of Boss' office. With the sound-proofed walls of the office, it was impossible to make out what was being said, as well as who was speaking. After a quick rapping of your knuckles on the wooden surface, the mumbling on the other side ceased.

Without another word, you cautiously opened the door to see Arthur abruptly standing from his hunched position over Boss' desk. His pale face was flushed red, his chiseled jaw was taught, and you noticed how his knuckles were practically bone white from how hard he was clenching his fists. Before you could even think about making an inquiry, the wider man cleared his throat.

"Stone, c'mon in," he said calmly, gesturing for you to take a seat.

Nodding, you approached the two males - not without some apprehension. Out of respect for your employer - who had seen your face within a few hours of hiring you - you removed the layer of rock from your face, "Ban said you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, there's something that's been on my mind for a bit." When you sat down in the plush little chair, Boss steepled his hands above his desk. "Stone, I'm going to make this as short and clear as possible: I'm not giving you jobs anymore."

You blinked. For a moment, that was all you had the capacity to accomplish, just that small blink. Is he firing me? What did I do? Is it because of that job with Ruby? Is this why Arthur is so mad?

"Before you go crazy - I can see those gears spinnin' in that head a' yours', I'm not firing you," Boss interrupted your thoughts. "In fact, you might see this as a promotion."

At the edge of your vision, you saw Arthur's usually kind face twist into an uncharacteristic scowl.

"Instead of having you paid by job and guarding a different guy each night, I want to assign you to one man, permanently. Or, at least, until you decide to find employment elsewhere."

You were officially confused. "Who would I be guarding, Boss?" Arthur bit his own lip harshly, and it clicked in your mind before he spoke.

"My son." At your curious look, the older male explained, "With my . . . other, dealings on the rise, I'm afraid Arty over here has been gainin' interest from some people who aren't quite as kind as the folks down here in our little shop."

"I'm sure (Y/n) can make better use of her talents doing anything other than acting as a glorified babysitter for me - besides, I can take care of m - "

"Arthur, you don't know what they're like - "

"I wonder why - "

"Enough." Both of their faces whipped around to face you, for a second reminding you that they were, in fact, father and son. "With all due respect, Boss, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me a few seconds . . . maybe out in the hallway? Just enough for me to mull things over . . . "