two ❧ hope

I grabbed ahold of the water bottle that sat swooshing around in my backpack

I grabbed ahold of the water bottle that sat swooshing around in my backpack. The bag was full of my "needed" essentials for this undercover trip. No one warned me about the heat that was too busy perpetrating my skin, or the harsh twigs and thorns that scrapped against my once tan skin only leaving behind the most crimson of red. "Ugh!" I let out an agitated groan as I my balance was disturbed once my foot landed in a shallow hole that was hidden beneath the long grass.

I knew that if Atlas were here, he'd tell me to never stop. He would have a huge smile on his face, and despite my warning, along with his beyond average intelligence, hope would glisten in his eyes. Hope.

In fact, if the entire pack knew of the extra pep in alpha's step because of the belief his Luna called out to him, they'd all gain a sense of hope. Hope that Luna's are still alive, hope that our Luna is still alive. Here I am, chasing after hope. The most dangerous thing to ever chase because sometimes it's better to just stand there and believe rather than to chase and end up in worse position.

"Xena," my wolf, Onyxia, called out to me. I stopped dead in my tracks before walking over to a stump on a tree. Sitting myself down, I gave her my full and undivided attention.

"Yes?" I returned in mind-link.

"I need to shift. Please," Onyxia spoke. Her English accent was heightened as the words fell from her wolfish mouth.

My mind was contemplating whether or not to let my wolf shift. There was a mission I had to take of, and shifting is just going to be another block on the road.

"I'll get us there much faster," she persuaded. I nodded my head and began to pull off my shirt and my shorts before placing them in the bag. Then, in no time, the feeling of my body cracking every bone in my body engulfed me. A feeling that once began as pain which has now converted into nothing but pleasure.

Seconds later, instead of two feet that were left placed on the ground, I had four paws. My midnight black fur left the breeze of the forest to get caught in. Onyxia shook her entire body letting her grow accustomed to being in wolf form once again.

Now, it was I who was on the outside looking in. Every decision was left to Onyxia as she walked over to the tree trump and picked up the bag with her teeth and began running in the direction I was going. Tampa Bay Creek is far outside our pack borders.

I've never feared going outside our pack lines because it's where I'm from. I don't remember much exactly, but I wasn't born as apart of this pack. Maybe that is why I could never feel the connection with my alpha as intimate as the others.

Happiness was radiating off of Onyxia. There's one thing that I absolutely love about her, and it's the joy that comes from her by her just being her. Every single time her paws made contact with the floor, a pulse of happiness ran through her.

"Tampa Bay Creek, Onyxia," I mindlinked her. I watched as she nodded her head and added a little boost on her run to the location we were ordered to go to. The minute we made it out of our pack lines, I could feel the connection with the pack dismember. The only connection I had was with the alpha, but it just wasn't as strong. Onyxia kept running despite the loss of connection.