DINNER WITH VARSITY

ALEX'S POV:

Against my better judgment, I went to the dinner with Varsity. I wore a red dress and heels, and I never wear heels. I curled my hair and wore only mascara.

I walked in with Julie and Luis. All of Varsity was there and smiled.

"You look great," Adam said grinning then kissing me.

"You don't look so bad yourself," I smiled back and adjusted his bow tie

"Alex you're next to me." A Varsity guy smiled and patted the seat next to him. I took a deep breath, I think he was the goalie, Scooter. I took a seat next to him and he started to talk to me.

"So, how you liking Eden Hall?" (Scooter)

"I don't, thanks," (Alex)

"Why not?" (Scooter)

"I hate school and everyone in it," (Alex)

"It's not that bad," he tries to convince me.

"Oh it is but with my team, it makes it easier," I say while drinking the water. He didn't seem like a bad guy like the others.

Everyone else filled in and we started eating.

"Uh, waiter I've got too many forks I only need one. What's this little bitty one?" Dwayne laughed.

We all looked over when Riley started to tap a knife against his glass and talk.

"On behalf of the Eden Hall Warrior Varsity Champion hockey team, I'd like to welcome the future state champs, the Eden Hall freshman. Here, here," Riley toasted.

"Here, here," They all raised their glasses.

"We're just glad you loaned us Banksie here so we'd have a chance to beat you guys in the annual Freshman-Varsity showdown. Special thanks to you Alex for giving up your man," Riley smirked at me and they all patted Banks on the back. He looked ashamed and the feeling in my gut got worse, I knew this was a bad idea.

"Now, nobody move. We've got one last surprise. Fellas?" They all got up and left except Banks. He looked back at us and left a folded napkin on my plate.

"Guys, I don't wanna spoil anything, but I overheard in the bathroom. It's a cake. Act surprised alright?" Guy informed us. Everyone cheered, but I kept my eyes on the napkin not wanting to open it.

A cake was pushed into the room but everyone's mood quickly faded when we had seen what was written on it.

"Thanks for dinner losers." Goldberg read, Charlie was handed the bill.

"Eight hundred and fifty seven dollars?" Charlie choked.

"What did I fucking say?" I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, Alex. You are way too mature to say what you're gonna say next right?" Averman pleaded.

"I don't have anything to say, Avermam," I shrugged and unfolded the napkin.

I'm sorry
-Cake Eater

"Alex, I didn't mean to-" I cut Averman off.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it," I crumpled up the napkin and put it in my water.

We all had to work off the bill. I scrubbed dishes with Charlie and Averman, I hadn't said a word the whole night.

"We've gotta respond." Charlie said.

"Physics. Each action requires an equal, if not bigger, reaction," Averman grinned.

"Hey, man. Be cool I don't wanna lose my scholarship," Russ started. We all raised our eyebrows.

"I mean, lets not get caught," He saved himself.

After our work was done and we had come up with a plan to do tomorrow night, I was walking back to my dorm with Connie. I saw Adam standing outside our room, I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

"Can we talk, Alex?" He asked walking up to me.

"I'll be inside," Connie says.

"There isn't anything to say," I shrugged.

"I'm sorry, okay? They didn't tell me until it was too late."

"Don't worry about it. That's your team now," I said in monotone.

"You're mad at me," (Adam)

"No. I mean, what should I have expected? You stood by them when they put our clothes in the shower so I shouldn't have expected much. Maybe Charlie was right, you do everything they tell you to," (Alex)

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Just think about it," (Alex)

"Why are you talking to Charlie about us? Is there a problem?" Adam asks.

"I've been talking to Charlie because you haven't been there, you have been too busy with school or hockey so it's not my fault that Charlie stepped up to be my friend and be there for me when my boyfriend can't. And yes we have a problem, you spend all your time with everyone else but me, I'm your girlfriend Adam," I say.

"I'm trying, Alex, I am but you are always with Charlie or at hockey or at school. I mean, what's going on between you and Charlie?" He says out of jealousy.

"Don't turn this on me, not all of this is my fault, okay? I'll see you at the showdown. I don't wanna talk right now," I told him and started walking in my room.

"What does that mean? Are you breaking up with me?" Adam stops me and asks.

"It means, I need some space, weird how we complain about not seeing each other. I just need some time to think. We aren't breaking up, okay? I love you," I say, kissing his cheek, and walking inside.