002 | ᴇᴡꜰ ✓

Chapter 2: A Taste of Hell
written in hwang hyunjin's pov

"Jisung-ah!" I called, ignoring their doorbell as I chose to knock instead. After three consecutive knocks, the door finally opened, revealing his older sister, Jiyeon.

"Oh, Hyunjin? Come in! Come in!" She said, smiling as she stepped aside to let me in.

"Where's mom and dad?" I curiously asked, referring to their parents who insisted to call them so. They would always bicker with each other every second, but the house seems awfully quiet today.

"Ah, they're attending an old friend's wedding. They'll probably be back at night. Oh how I hope they'll take their time. It's so peaceful to work without their nonsense fights." Jiyeon said, half-joking as she closes the door.

"The house feels empty without them, though. Besides, their arguments are not toxic like other parents, you know? They're just being playful with each other. Trust me, noona, you'll miss their voices one day." I said as we both took a seat on the couch.

"Oh, of course, I'll do." Jiyeon said in a sarcastic yet genuine tone. "But not now. I can't focus on studying. My patient's case is already hard enough for my mind to process and their childish fights are distracting me."

"What's the case this time? How's your patient?" I asked, starting to get concerned.

Jiyeon is one of the most genuine health professionals I know. She cares so much about every patient of hers and loves them with her whole heart even if they would always degrade her because she's a nurse and not a doctor.

What a sickening behavior, right? Nurses shouldn't be treated that way. They also studied and exerted the same effort as everyone else.

Besides, there are several things that doctors can't do without the help of nurses. They need to be praised and acknowledged by their patients as well. Such unfairness gives me the ick.

"A patient went in shock. The whole hospital believes it's Sepsis, but I'm starting to think that it's Pericarditis." Jiyeon said, sharing the troubles that have been bothering her mind.

"Are those hard to distinguish?" I asked, to which she nodded. "Purulent pericarditis is a relatively rare disorder. Our doctors always diagnose Sepsis without considering alternatives, which makes me so frustrated."

"Have you tried telling them so?"

"I'm a mere nurse, Hyunjin. I'm not allowed to share my opinions because doctors know better. I'm supposed to follow their orders, not contradict them."

I sighed, starting to get frustrated as well. "That's absurd!"

"I know, right?" Jiyeon bitterly chuckled. "Biting my tongue sucks. If only I knew that this is how it works, then I should've chosen a different path. I don't even feel like a nurse anymore. I'm just a doctor's minion."

How cruel...

Silence then started to fill the living room as both of us were too frustrated to speak.

However, it didn't last long because a notification was heard from Jiyeon's phone.

"Fuck!" She suddenly cursed, standing up upon seeing a message.