008 | ᴇᴡꜰ ✓

Chapter 8: Yesterday's Grief
written in kim seungmin's pov

"Fuck it! Why can't they just leave me alone?" With eyes full of rage, I aggressively punched the wall, letting my anger and frustrations out in a ferocious way.

After continuous hits, my knuckles started to bleed, urging me to punch harder.

I repeated the same action over and over again, cuss words leaving my mouth with every hit when someone suddenly knocked on the door.

"Hello? Can you please hurry up? I really need to use the restroom."

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips, rolling my eyes in annoyance upon hearing such interruption.

"I'm sorry." He said, rushing inside when I opened the door.

I didn't bother giving him a response and just left, finally returning to our table.

"Where's mom?" I asked after taking a seat, noticing that my mother was gone.

Hyeseul then explained that she just left, meeting a friend from overseas who just came.

I could only nod, attentively observing the woman in front of me as I slowly calmed myself down.

"Do you want to leave?" I asked, wondering if she felt awkward and uncomfortable since my mother left.

Instead of answering with a yes or no, a light chuckle fled her lips, trying to surpass a peal of laughter before asking, "Do you want me to?"

With my eyes shaking in panic, I quickly gestured a no, telling her that it was not what I wanted to imply.

"Let's stay. We're already here anyway." She softly chuckled, flashing a gentle smile afterward.

As if on cue, a waiter came to our table with the tea set in his hands.

In an attempt to act like a gentleman for once, I grabbed the teapot by its handle, carefully pouring some for Hyeseul.

"What happened?" She worriedly asked, making my eyebrows furrow by the sudden query.

I quickly glanced at her, soon noticing that she was staring at my knuckles with a concerned expression painted on her face.

After witnessing so, I placed the teapot down, hiding my right hand under the table as I made a foolish excuse, saying it got caught in the door.

Of course, Hyeseul didn't buy my absurd explanation, insisting further to let her see my hand.

The next thing I knew, she was seated beside me, holding my hand firmly as she carefully disinfected my wounds using her handkerchief.

I tried pulling my hand away, telling her how much it stings.

"Tsk tsk. I thought you weren't a kid." She said, eyes fixed on my knuckles as she held my hand tightly.

At this point, I could feel tears forming in my eyes, not because of the painful sensation from the alcohol coming in contact with my wounds but because of the sudden flashbacks about my biological mom.

↺ 2008, THIRTEEN YEARS AGO

"Ouch!" I hissed in pain, forcefully pulling my hand away from my mother's grip.

"Why did you have to hurt yourself like that?! A tree, Seungmin?! You punched a tree?!"

I choked on my tears, keeping my head down as I ignored my mother, who raised her voice out of frustration and rage.

"Kim Seungmin." She softly called, holding my chin gently to make me face her.

A river of tears flowed down my face when I met my mother's eyes filled with devastating pain. She was also on the verge of crying, but I could tell that she was trying her best to hold it back.