009 | ᴇᴡꜰ ✓

Chapter 9: Hit or Miss
written in kang hyeseul's pov

"Oppa..." I said, calling my brother, who just hummed in response. He's currently washing the dishes while I'm seated on the kitchen counter, watching him do so.

"Any thoughts about HK's Apparel?" I asked, eating a spoonful of vanilla ice cream with my legs crossed, not bothering to help him with the household chores.

"HK's Apparel? They featured a lot in our newspapers and magazines because of their collections and achievements. It's remarkable how they always managed to stay on top for almost 50 years." Hyejoon said, acknowledging so.

"Are you aware of the recent issues about them, though? I've seen countless articles online, and all of them are about Kim Seungmin. Did your company release one about him as well?"

"Hwang Hyunsik recently became an investor at Chaesan Daily, so we can't do that to his son. Our team doesn't want to betray him, you know? He's a powerful man with strong connections, and we don't want to end up like Dad."

My brother explained, referring to the unfortunate tragedy of Kang Daehwan, our adoptive father, who died when I was 18.

According to Hyejoon, he was brutally murdered by a politician because they used every media outlet to expose him for using illegal drugs during the last week of the election.

Although I have faint memories about my biological parents, Park Minseok and Nam Sohye, I can't remember anything about Kang Daehwan.

My brother said it was because I was very distant and didn't even bother to spend time with him.

In fact, I never, even once, exchanged a proper conversation with him despite living under the same roof because I was still grieving about my biological father when he adopted us.

I would occasionally run away from home, shamelessly returning to the orphanage because I'd rather be an orphan than have a stranger replace my dad.

I'm Park Hyeseul, Park Minseok's daughter. I hated how they had to change our last name due to legal processes that I could barely comprehend. Was it even necessary in the first place?

All the kids at the orphanage despised me because of that mindset. They hated how I acted ungrateful for being given a chance to live a lavish life with the comfort of a new family, saying that Daehwan should've adopted them instead.

Because of that, they would always bully me whenever I return.

Their hatred intensified as time passed by. It even came to the point where they continuously hit me with a wooden plank on my head, not bothering to stop until I died.

After two months without consciousness because of that incident, I finally woke up. However, I couldn't remember anything; even my own name.

It was the most frustrating time of my life, but thankfully, I was able to meet someone who made those days brighter, someone who was always there for me, and someone who loved me more than I did.

My suffocating life became bearable because of him, my beloved ex. I loved him with all my heart, but even if I did, I unknowingly took him for granted.

I was so desperate to remember the past that I didn't even notice that I was slowly forgetting about him. In the end, some of my memories came back, but I ended up losing him; one of the most regrettable things that I have done.

I thought I'd be happy when I finally remembered who I am and who I was, but no. Only a portion of my memories came back, but it was too painful to handle.

If only I knew that my life was so tragic, I wouldn't have forced myself to remember anything. I should've just chosen to leave everything in the past and start anew.