• 13 •

Harry POV

Teaching in front of Zayn that day was a challenge. I knew he wasn't listening to me one bit and I was sad to think he would fail the school year. I just want the best for him. I knew that he was smart enough to succeed but his life was too complicated. He needed more support.

- Mr Malik. Can you stay after class?

- Mind telling me why?

- No. I will tell you after class.

- Yeah ok.

People around started whispering about how weird it was for Zayn to comply so easily. I couldn't let people get suspicious about us. I liked Zayn a lot...much more than I should but I needed this job, I couldn't afford to lose it. I tried my best to not even glance at the boy during class. When the bell rang, he didn't move from his seat, playing with his fingers like he was sad.

- I fucked up right?

- What are you talking about Zayn?

- When the class joked about me not talking back to you, you made it clear that I fucked up. If you regret ... you know... us, I understand...

He whispered not meeting my eyes.

- Zayn... we just need to be extra careful here. It's my job you understand?

- Yeah I understand that you are ashamed to be seen with me...

He tried to stand up but I put my hand on his shoulder to sit him back.

- You stay. You won't runaway from your problems with me Zayn. You do it enough as it is.

- What are you trying to say.

- You know what I am talking about. I want what's the best for you, I want us to be together. We can't do that if I end up in jail with an orange jumper, you understand? I need to be careful. Here, I am your teacher.

- So what do you want "sir"?

I sighed knowing he was still upset.

- I can tell that you are not listening in my class. You never even tried to write down something down since I know you.

- Listen Harry, it's not because we are together that you can boss me around.

- Zayn, calm down. Don't be so immature.

-  Fuck you Harry. Leave me alone.

He said before running out of the class.

Zayn POV

I was upset. Sure. But it wasn't why I was running away from Harry. I knew that eventually as my teacher, he would finally see how dumb I was.

I knew Harry had a good education, no matter how hard his life was, he still had a brain and could work because of it. I couldn't say the same.

I put so much energy in the past years of my life in doing drugs to forget my shitty life that I forgot how important my education was.

I knew that Harry deserved much better than a guy that could hardly write more than his own name. I was ashamed of what I became.

I found an empty bathroom and locked the stall behind me. I needed to be alone, I needed to think. Unfortunately, my thoughts were fast interrupted by voices getting closer.

- Apparently, Payne is hanging out with that faggot...Horan.

- His sister is hot as fuck.

- I doubt Payne is interested in that hot chick.