t w e n t y - o n e

Thermodynamics was never in particular Tahlia's strong suit in high school

She worked hard, paid attention in class and kept her grades up, yes, but all the countless equations and laws had always seemed pretty fruitless to her.

Until today.

Tahlia remembered learning about the second law of thermodynamics in junior year.

She could faintly recall hints about the law, how it was concerned with the concept of entropy, or in simpler terms — uncertainty. How the uncertainty of the universe keeps changing.

All of it made perfect sense now.

Her life two months ago revolved around nothing but her academic scores, keeping away from any possible distractions and persevering hard to be the best in what she did.
Her life was dull, weary even, but orderly.

But two months later, here she was, having foolishly developed feelings for a serial killer who was now on the run, both her physical and mental state in absolute ruins; and now waiting queasily to know whether or not she was going to be incriminated for being an accessory to murder.

So the second law, in retrospect, made perfect sense to Tahlia— You think you have control over the life that you create, you have order, that all the reins lie in your own hands.

And that's precisely when all the havoc wreaks loose.

All that order you prided yourself in having, turns into chaos right in front of your eyes.

"So, Miss Meyers."

She glanced up, watching Sergeant Randall as he crossed his arms, his hardened eyes boring into hers.
She was seated at his desk, across from him.

It was hilarious, the fact that the reason she was in this predicament in the first place, began with a scenario awfully similar to this one. Perhaps life really does come back in a full circle.

They were surrounded by several other desks, occupied with other officers, she presumed. Coming to the station, she'd assumed it would be like the movies, that at the minute of her arrival she'd be arrested and put into hand cuffs and be thrown into the confession room.
Perhaps it was her guilt talking tall.

"You were speaking to Hunt for about 2 months now, is that right?"

"Yes." She paused, hesitant to say her next words, "I don't understand, I've already answered these questions before, with the other Detective."

"Detective Rodericks is no longer in charge of this investigation, I am." He stated passively, "I'd like to go over some details again, you can call your lawyer down if you wish to."