t w e n t y - e i g h t

The shrill scream that left Tahlia's lips resounded all around the hallway, drawing strange glances and hushed whispers from all the people passing by

She pulled away from the doorknob quickly, swiveling to face the other direction in a heartbeat.

Her eyes were widened to their utmost extent, her mouth parted agape.

No. No. No.

A shaky breath of disbelief left her lips, her eyes squeezed shut, as her face twisted like she'd ingested bitter lemon zest.

It hardly took a minute before the sound of the door grating as it opened came from behind where she stood, making her flinch a little.

She didn't dare turn around.

"Oh come on Tal, you're not going to look at me?"

She bit down on her lip inadvertently, her eyes still glued close.

Slowly, agonizingly slowly, she turned around, releasing a hefty exhale of breath as she opened her lids. Her face was as red as a farm fresh tomato.

Her eyes were met with the sight of her best friend fiddling with his belt, trying to fix it along with his jeans haphazardly. His lean torso was fully bare.

"I..What..Do..I-" Tahlia stopped herself from mumbling any further incoherent phrases, licking her lips, her face still heated up.

"I can explain that." Jace reasoned breathlessly as he attempted to his comb his disheveled sandy blonde hair with his fingers.

Tahlia was at a loss for words.

Perhaps for the images of her best friend butt naked were now permanently etched into her brain.

His lips pursed, "Okay, say something Tal, it's not the end of the world."

Her eyes snapped up towards his,
"You were having sex with my roommate on my bed, Jesus Jace, what do you want me to say!?"

"I'll get you new sheets, hell, I'll get you a new bed."

She shook her head, her glassy eyes holding a fleck of resentment, "I was worried Jace. I was worried sick! No one's heard from you in three days and.." She cut herself off, inhaling a deep breath to compose herself.

"And what? I'm not 12, I don't need anyone to check up on me."

Tahlia looked up, part surprised part exasperated by the hint of unbefitting annoyance in his voice, "Where were you anyway?"

He scratched the back of his head, "About that.." His gaze travelled around the hall, uncomfortable.

"I went to the DKB party, and I.." He coughed, his tone hesitant,

"..May or may not have done some intense molly."

He huffed, raising his brows, "Next thing I know I've been there for two days. Oh and get this, apparently I even spray painted the frat douches' gate when I was blacked out." He laughed, going on a different tangent, only returning to his point after being shot a hard glare from Tahlia's way.
"Uh..yeah, so I came back an hour ago. I came here to your room and you weren't there."