t w e n t y - t w o

The raindrops pattered against the window tenderly, creating a mellow refrain that interspersed with the stringent silence in the room

Besides the gentle rain outside, the only sounds in the room were coming from the little metronome sitting on top of an oak wood desk, and of course, the ceaseless tapping of a certain mahogany-haired girl's right foot against the tiled floor.

Her hands were resting in her lap idle, while her gaze was dropped down low towards a pair of leopard printed kitten heels just across from her.

"So," Began a ringing voice, "How much sleep would you say you got last night?"

Tahlia looked up towards the middle aged woman's waning face,
"Not enough."

The woman nodded knowingly. Perhaps it was the heavy shade of darkness under Tahlia's puffy eyes that had already given it away to her.

"What happened after you called Campus Security?"

Last night was still pretty much all a blur to Tahlia.
She remembered opening the gift box, peeking inside.

The next thing she knew Wynn was shrieking on top of her lungs in pure horror, rushing to throw up in the toilet.

All while she stood there stupefied, fixated at the little note on top of the blood-covered cadaver.

Him. It's him.

She let out a weedy exhale at the thought, "My roommate and I were shifted with other people for the night while they got rid of..it and sanitized our room."

Next, her sleep deprived eyes landed on the desk behind the couch that the woman sat on in front of her.
Dr. Volger was spelled out in small letters on the reflective metal nameplate just beside the metronome and a tiny succulent plant.

"I called the station immediately and did what Detective Hernandez asked me to do."

Dr. Volger brought her palm up to her face, resting underneath her chin, "And what was it that she asked of you?"

"To set the note aside before anyone saw it, and let the entire thing be dismissed as a prank."

The Doctor nodded again, taking in her decrepit words, "Did they? Consider it a prank, I mean."

"Yes. They've promised to look into it and take strict action." She sputtered, "They wanted Wynn and I to see the counselor today. I told them I already had one."