t w e n t y - n i n e | PART II

The snow had, after all, turned out to be gentler than Tahlia had anticipated

She hadn't crashed and blown up the car in the middle of a crystalline road like she'd feared she could. She had made it to Montclair in under the 150 minute mark, and for that she had Dean's car and it's top-notch snow tires to thank for.

Tahlia sat parked in the motel lot, a few feet away from what appeared to be the dingy entrance to Silver Door, gazing at the ramshackle building quietly.

It was a three story structure with flights of stairs that connected the lobby of the second and third floors externally.
With walls painted a tacky yellow color and faded red doors on each floor that looked like they'd fall off the hinges, the scruffy motel couldn't be more unpalatable.

Would Jordy meet another accomplice here?

Heaving a deep exhale out of her chest, watching it fog up the space, Tahlia stepped out of the car.

The whistling icy wind hit her, making her wrap her arms around her chest and pulling in her jacket tighter to materialize some warmth.
It had stopped snowing, but the cold remained unabating.

Trudging through the slushy but glittering white ground, Tahlia finally made it to the door.

She pulled it open, entering a space just as shabby as the exterior of the building.
She could see a little desk with stationery and ledgers, figuring it was the reception, but it was empty.

The entire room was soulless for that matter, as she looked around wondering if the motel had closed down or something.

And then she heard it.

The loud, incessant sound of a man's breathless voice. At first, Tahlia was alarmed, her heart startled, but as she slowly started inching towards the direction of the source of the sound, it became more distinct and clear.

A man grunting; in ecstasy, the noise coming from one of the rooms at the end.

And then, simultaneously, a similar set of sounds started coming from above the thin ceiling, only this time it was a woman.

Oh.

It's a shady motel, of course what else would you expect?

"$35 A night."

Tahlia turned around, to be met by the sight of an unkempt middle aged man standing behind her, his arm flexed behind, scratching his back as he walked towards the desk.

"What?" She blurted, startled.

He looked at her with a stultified expression on his face, "For the room. $35."

"Oh, I'm- I'm actually not here for a room."

"Let me guess." He rolled his beady green eyes, "You found the motel receipt in your boyfriend's pockets and now you wanna know if he's cheating on you?"