Realization

Severus stares up at his ceiling, letting out a loud sigh. He immediately places his hand over his mouth roughly, hoping his father's inhuman ears didn't hear him. He holds his breath as angry footsteps approach his room. He closes his eyes just as the door opens, letting the hand over his mouth fall limp, mimicking a sleep-placed position. However, either his father sees through the disguise or does not care that his son is sleeping, Severus has no idea which, and grabs his long hair harshly, pulling him up. Severus opens his eyes quickly, only making brief eye contact before something else is making contact. He bites his lip a bit too hard as the fist connects with his jaw.
"How dare you sleep when there are things to do! If you aren't going to be helpful, at least go outside, you lazy ass!" He is thrown to the floor harshly, his father walking out a moment later. He holds his breath, letting it, and his whimper, out when he is sure he is gone. He curls in on himself, brushing his fingers over his injured ribs from the previous night. He hears steps approaching his room again and he hastily throws on some clothes, standing tall.
"Fucking brat! Get out!" He is grabbed by the hair once again and tossed outside haphazardly. He rolls onto his back and stares up at the stars still in the sky. He sighs and shakily stands, walking slowly, painfully to a tree just out of eye sight of his house. He pulls a wrist watch from a crook in the base, checking the time. 5:37 a.m. He holds the small object to his chest for a moment before putting it back in its place. Lily had given it to him, and he did not want his father finding out about it. He would completely destroy the small but "offensive" object, not caring that it was made completely of silver. All he cares about is destroying every single thing Severus cares about, including his mother.
He slowly trudges over to the tree he and Lily usually meet at. It is a bit early, but he had been kicked out for the day. He can only hope his mother will be okay. She usually tries to stand up for him, and his father never takes that well. He plops down at the base of their shared tree and pulls a small pallet of makeup Lily had given him for the injuries from its trunk. She is the only one who knows about the beatings. He flips the small item open and stares at the forming bruise on his jaw, and his blood covered lips from his attempt at holding back the pained sounds. He sighs at his painfully dirty hair, wiping the drying blood away and dusting the skin tone over his jaw.
Once he is sure the bruise is thoroughly covered, he puts the makeup back, before laying on the ground and stretching his right arm out to the side. He looks at it and forces a smile, imagining Lily holding his hand and smiling back at him. Fifteen years old and completely obsessed with someone he could never have. He was thankful Lily had given him another chance after inadvertently calling her that horrible name. He thinks on who had caused it; at least he isn't the only one obsessed at such a young age. He groans and closes his eyes tightly, nearly jumping out of his skin a moment later. He yanks his hand back, eyes snapping open to stare at it as if it is burning.
Why in Merlin had he just seen James Potter, the bane of his existence, holding his hand and smiling brightly at him, large, round glasses a bit lopsided from his head being on the ground. And why had he paid enough attention to not only notice his glasses were like that, but also that he wore a Slytherin green shirt? He shakes his head harshly, making the world spin even on the ground from how dizzy he is. He groans loudly, causing a few birds to fly away, startled. "What's wrong, Sev?" Comes a quiet voice from above him. He sits up quickly to spot his best friend. He hadn't realized how light it was getting.
"Lily! I have a problem!" He whines out, crossing his arms defiantly.
"Yes Sev, I can hear that." She sits next to him. "Why don't you tell me the details of this problem? I'm assuming it's not your father because you don't complain about him anymore." Severus automatically brushes his hand against his bruised jaw. She frowns softly. "This morning?" He nods slowly. "So that's why you're out here entirely too early. He doesn't usually hit you where people can see so close to the beginning of the school year. He must have been really angry." He whimpers softly; his way of politely asking if she will stop because it is making him uncomfortable. "Of course Sev. What is this other problem?" He sighs softly, closing his eyes tightly. He opens them a second later when all he can see is a smiling Potter in the same damn shirt.
"I don't know how or why, but the world has decided to punish me!" Before Lily can ask how, he buries his face in her shoulder softly. She strokes his back gently as he rambles on. "I closed my eyes and saw James Potter holding my hand! Of all people! And now I close them and only see him smiling that daft smile, in a Slytherin green shirt! I'm convinced it's mine!" She pulls him away from her gently, staring into his eyes.
"It sounds to me like you may have a crush on him." She smiles sympathetically. He opens and closes his mouth like a fish, but no words come out. "I know, I know. But he's not that much of a prick anymore. And hey, you have his attention, so it should be easy to get him!" He squeaks in horror, before gaining a thoughtful look. "You really haven't noticed? You're practically the only person he cares about seeing anymore!" Severus groans loudly once again and curls up to her. Why does she always have to be right?