Hallowe'en

Severus smiles when he walks into the Great Hall for breakfast. Hallowe'en decorations are being put up, and the few students in the room are jittery with excitement. The Hallowe'en Feast is absolutely amazing every year, and even the most solemn look forward to it. Remus heads Severus off before he gets too far into the room. "James has insisted you join us for a Muggle Halloween today. It won't be exact, of course, because of where we are, but he thought it might help you become more comfortable around Sirius. That's important to all of us, whether we like it or not. He's starting to come around, but he still needs to spend time with you to understand you're not a bad person. I don't know when he convinced himself that was true, but if I had known it was happening, I would have tried my hardest to change his mind."
"Thank you for the thought, but I would have asked you not to do anything. Let Black have his opinions of me, I don't care. That reflects more on him than it does on me." Severus gives Remus a regretful smile.
"You're right. He deserved that. No matter how much I love him, I have to admit when he's a prick. And he is most definitely a prick to you whenever he can be. I will apologize on his front for that, even though I know he would not apologize. Not currently, anyway. I hope one day he will. One can hope, right?" He lets out a small laugh. "I should go. Meet us by the lake after breakfast, okay?" He smiles, then turns to go back to Gryffindor table. To Severus's surprise, Regulus Black is standing behind where Remus just was. He opens his mouth, then closes it, his cheeks turning pink.
"Is there something I can help you with, Black?" He asks sweetly, putting on a smile in an attempt to reassure the younger boy. It seems to work, as he relaxes a bit and his blush fades away.
"N-not necessarily help me with, b-but I do have a question for you."
"Oh?" Severus inquires, intrigued. The younger Black nods like his life depends on it, and his face turns crimson. "Calm down. Breathe. I don't bite, I promise." He jokes, hoping to make him feel better.
"R-right. Um... Would you... w-would you like to go out on a d-" he bites his bottom lip, and changes what he's saying. "Would you like to study together sometime? I know we're not in the same year, but you're so good at classes, it would be an honour to be your study partner!" He squeaks out, face turning crimson again. Severus gives him a polite smile. He has a feeling that isn't what the younger Black wanted to ask, but he won't push him to say it if he's not ready.
"Of course. I would love that. Having someone to study with could be fun. Shall we start tomorrow, between classes and dinner?" Regulus nods frantically, then runs out of the Great Hall. Severus shakes his head and goes to sit for his breakfast. What a strange boy.
As he is eating, Peeves phases through his plate from under the table. He squeaks in surprise, causing the poltergeist to cackle with glee. He sighs, and shakes his head. "What do you want?"
"I know something you don't." The ghost smirks mischievously.
"Please do specify." Severus drawls, already tired of being bothered. Peeves's grin grows wider.
"I would go to the infirmary if I were you. Before the spell cast on your drink kicks in." The Slytherin frowns.
"I haven't drank from my-"
"Avifors!" Peter Pettigrew calls from across the room.
"Anteoculatia!" Sirius Black calls not long after. Severus tries to move, but it's too late; both spells hit their target. He squaks in protest as the Great Hall erupts into laughter. "Oh look, Snivelous already changed into his Hallowe'en costume! Doesn't he look better?"
"Sirius Orion Black, my office now," Dumbledore says lowly, but loud enough to be heard over the fits of laughter still happening. He stands from the staff table and leaves the room, Black following in his wake. He turns to look at Severus and sends him a wink, which gets his blood boiling. The stupid fucking prat! How dare he! Remus and James are both heading toward him, but he doesn't want to deal with them right now. He doesn't want to deal with anyone. He flaps his new wings, and soars up to the cieilng. He looks around frantically, then flies out where the owls normally come in like his life depends on it.
"Severus! Come back!" He hears one of them call, but he doesn't obey. He flies to the opposite side of the lake and lands by the water. He takes a deep breath and stares at his reflection. Pettigrew had turned him into a bird, and Black had added antlers. Probably a mockery of his crush on James.
"I knew you would come here. You always did like the lake, especially when things weren't the best." Lily's voice sounds from behind him. He turns around, and is relieved to see she is alone. "I left the moment they did their stupid little joke. I hoped we would make it here around the same time. It looks like I hoped right. Here, let me help." She kneels next to Severus, pulls her wand out, and casts the counter spells. He closes his eyes tightly and shakes his head, paying close attention to the feeling of his hair slapping his cheeks. He sniffs, and looks at his best friend. "Don't let them get to you. Sirius Black is a jerk, and Peter Pettigrew is just jealous you're getting more attention from his friends than he is. I wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore winds up suspending at least Sirius. He did say the punishment would be harsher for any pranks." Severus lets out a shaky laugh.
"Thank you for trying to make me feel better. I hope he doesn't get suspended though. He still deserves to get an education."
"You're always so kind, Sev." He blushes, looking away sheepishly.