Lily (Christmas Part One)

"Move aside, James Potter! I'm here for Severus and Severus alone. If you even try to flirt with me, I will not refrain from decking you. That's a Muggle thing, just so you know. It means you'll be on the floor from my fist. Not magic, a fist. Which, frankly, hurts worse. So back off and tell me where Sev is." James snaps his mouth shut, wisely deciding against flirting with Lily. Sirius answers for him.

"He's upstairs, fretting about your gift. First door on the left." She nods her head, and smiles softly.

"Thank you. And thank you, Remus, for helping me get here." She turns around to hug him, then disappears up the stairs. She knocks on the door carefully. "Severus? Can I come in?" The door opens, and she is pulled into a tight embrace.

"Lily! You're here! Early. Why are you here so early?" She giggles and ruffles his hair, pulling away from him gently.

"Mother and Father said it was okay for me to spend most of the day here, to see how you're doing. Remus helped me get here. They're coming to pick me up later. Or I might Floo back. Black said you were worrying about my gift?"

"Sirius wasn't supposed to say anything! I told him to leave it a surprise!" Lily smiles. "What?"

"Oh, nothing. I see you two have gotten closer. At the very least, you're no longer fighting." Severus blushes ever so slightly.

"I suppose so. He's actually helped a lot, Lily. He knows how to deal with this abuse thing better than I do. I've... had a few break downs. I didn't let them show, but I guess Sirius knows what one looks like, even if it's being hidden. Each time he took me to the library here and handed me my favourite book. Then he sat with me. I think he locked James out each time, because he never interrupted. He's not exactly the most observant, so I doubt that was because he knew what was happening. I can see what Remus loves about him now. At least a small bit of it. I think they would be perfect together. I'm glad he's telling him today."

"First, that's really sweet of him. Second, he's telling him today!? I have to be there to see that!" Severus blushes and scratches the back of his head.

"Not... exactly? Sirius let slip that his secret admirer said he would see him on Christmas. I can only imagine Remus plans to tell him, but that's purely speculation. I hope Sirius puts it together instead of waiting by the door like an eager puppy. Maybe Rem has a special gift for him."

"Perhaps. You can never tell with that boy." She closes her eyes and takes a breath. She lets it out slowly, then opens her eyes again. "So. You're wearing James's Quidditch jersey. I wanted to mention it the moment I saw you, but I didn't think the moment was right. Are you two together now?" Severus's eyes widen, and his cheeks turn crimson.

"N-no! Of course not." He bows his head. "He's never going to notice me. Not like that, anyway. I've resigned myself to the fate of just being his friend. I'll get over my feelings for him. Eventually. I made a promise to Sirius that I would keep Regulus safe by being with him if things didn't work out. He gave me until the end of our year at Hogwarts, but I think I'm going to ask him out when we get back. Regulus is sweet. He's probably better for me than James anyway. And I'm better for him than the ones trying to recruit him to the wrong side."

"Severus, don't say things like that. James is sure to notice you. He's just slow. It's nice of you to agree to that, but can't you just try to be Regulus's friend until your time is up? If James catches feelings for you, and you're with his best mate's brother, there's no way he's ever going to admit he likes you. You are not allowed to make any comments on that, Severus Snape. But I will hear the story of how you came to wear James's Quidditch jersey if the two of you are not a couple. I am very interested in how you came to possess something so important to him." Severus blushes again, and laughs.

"Well, apparently jeans and a jumper aren't comfortable clothes. Definitely not sleep worthy clothes. James practically forced me into some sweatpants and this, his most comfortable shirt, on my first night here. Don't worry, it's been washed plenty. I'm refusing to sleep in any other shirt. I've told them it's because of how comfortable it is. I know James believes me, but I don't think Sirius is convinced that's the only reason. I don't blame him. It wasn't the only reason, at first. Now I'm not too sure. It doesn't smell like James anymore, so that's not part of the reason. Sure it's his, but I honestly think I would wear any Quidditch jersey at this point. They're just so soft, Lily!" She laughs, and pulls him in for a tight hug.

"Well, either way, you still look very handsome. I bet they've both done some staring, haven't they?"

"Wh-what? Staring? How did you know?"

"Severus, you're a Slytherin. Wearing Gryffindor colours voluntarily. Even I can't help but stare a bit. It's such a strange thing to see. It's not unwelcome, of course, but it is just a bit odd. I'm glad you don't mind as much as others in your House." Severus snorts, clearly amused.

"I'm going to ask James to borrow this now. I want to freak out the others." His smile falls, and he shakes his head. "No, I wouldn't do that. I have no right to do that. We're not together, and that would be putting his jersey at risk. They might tear it apart. I don't want that." He runs a hand over the fabric, and lets out a heavy sigh. "I think I love him, Lily. I'm trying so hard to deny that, but I can't help it. Just the thought of him drives me insane! I want to be by his side forever." She clicks her tongue, and shakes her head.

"Someone's lovesick. I'm assuming you did something for a gift for him? Bring that. The special one, not the friend one. We'll assess the situation. I'll ask Remus to help, if he hasn't already caught on. James didn't look happy when he went to flirt with me. I think that's because he has feelings for you, and he hasn't realized yet. I know you don't think that, which is why I want you to pay attention to the differences when he interacts with both of us. Maybe it will give you enough confidence to give him your special gift. Shall we go?" She gives Severus a reassuring smile. He takes a deep breath, nods, and grabs a bag with gifts in it before following her down the stairs.