Chapter 9

Third person POV

Killua couldn't believe his eyes. He didn't want to anyway. He never thought that his worst nightmare would come true. But that was only because his brain always woke him up before such a horrific idea covered his mind. And now he was seeing something his eyes won't ever be able to erase.

The look of disappointment in Rin's teary eyes.

Her disappointment in him... for betraying her.

Betrayal.

That was the only thing he wanted to avoid at all cost. But now, it was too late. There was no turning back. She knew. And he knew she will never forgive him for that.

"Look what you've done, Kil." Illumi's voice resonating in his head causing his eyes to tremble in fear. "I told you... you have no right to make any friends."

Killua stood on the brink of something he couldn't describe. The weight of everything seemed to press down on his shoulders and he struggled to take even a single step forward. It was too much. All of it.

The darkness grew darker; the pain grew sharper; all of it seemed to only grow in strength and he began to wonder if things could ever get better.

But the answer was already clear.

"Damn it!!!" Killua cried out before dashing out of the room leaving the rest of them to stare at his disappearing silhouette.

"Killua!" Gon called out but it was already too late. Killua was gone.

Gon snapped his head to Illumi with anger visible on his face. "Illumi, you bastard!"

Son Gozu strode inside the room with his hands in his pocket standing a few steps away from Illumi.

"Man, that's a dirty way to play with a kid's feeling, ya know. And talking about me in my presence is just plain cruel." He glanced at Illumi from the corner of his eyes.

"I'll do my job and you'll do yours. There's still work that needs to be done."

With that being said, Illumi left the room.

Son Gozu took one last look at the leaving figure before setting his attention to the girl who already had her knees on the ground.

"I told you so... that you wouldn't like it if you leave."

"..."

"Does that info hurt that bad?"

"..."

"This is bad...." Gozu let out an exasperated sigh the moment he laid eyes on his daughter's eyes.

Rin's eyes were frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth.