Goodnight My Love

Thomas and I had a wonderful evening. We ate pizza and laughed till the restaurant kicked us out so they could close.

As we walked back in the pouring rain Thomas held my umbrella over our heads. I soon felt his hand creep close to mine. When he took my cold hand and interlocked his strong, warm fingers I felt electricity dash up my arm and I couldn't stop myself from grinning.

When we arrived at my apartment building, I didn't want to say goodbye.

"It's getting pretty late." I said as we stood outside.

"It is." Thomas replied. "I should be getting home."

"I had an awesome time tonight, Thomas." I looked him in the eye. "Thankyou."

"It was my absolute pleasure, Ella." He stepped closer to me.

The shrinking distance between us scared me. I was afraid I would hurt him, I was afraid he'd hurt me. I thought about my life before I met Thomas. It was a half-life. There was no passion, no love. It wasn't a great life, but I was used to it. I wasn't used to Thomas. Nobody ever wanted to hold my hand as we walked in the rain. Nobody ever wanted to dance with me in the street. There was nobody like Thomas.

I felt his eyes lock with mine as he drew in towards me. The sound of blood pumping through my veins drowned out the patter of rain on the pavement. He tilted his head towards mine and
leaned in closer. Without hesitation, I closed my eyes and felt Thomas' lips on mine. His soft warm lips pushed gently at mine. His hand rose up to my cheek and he pressed a little harder. I could sense longing and thought he would go further, but all too quickly he pulled away.

Thomas stared at me for a moment.

"You're so beautiful, Ella." He smiled and brushed a strand of hair off my face. "May I see you again soon?"

"I hope so."

"Goodnight, my love." He smiled as he handed me back my umbrella.

He started to head off down the street. I couldn't bear to part with him.

"Thomas!" I called out. He spun around.

"Yes?"

"Would you like to come inside?" I twirled the umbrella in my fingers. Thomas grinned.

"Oh god yes."