New Life

So a bit of a disclaimer for my WattPad readers. This chapter is a follow-up to SweetSinger2010's "After Everything" on Fanfiction.Net. It's a fantastic story and I highly recommend you check it out, otherwise you'll miss something I reference in here.

  Sabine walked into the tower after a long day at work. Her art class seemed to get more and more tedious as more and more students enrolled. The Mandalorian cracked the joints in her back and groaned loudly. If Ezra had been home, he would have asked if she had hurt herself.

   On top of the stress of work, she had also felt abnormally nauseated that day, even to the point of vomiting on her lunch break.

  "Maybe I'm coming down with something", was her first guess, "Could be Loth-Flu again."

   Only it wasn't. When she had caught that dreaded virus, her headache and vomiting had been much more severe. No, this had to be something different. She went into the refresher and checked herself for various ailments using various methods, both physical and technological. Every one of her tests gave no indication of a traditional illness.

  "So that only leaves..."

    The Mandalorian opened the medicine cabinet and found the box of pregnancy tests that she had bought right after her and Ezra's wedding. She bit her lip nervously at the thought of being a mother, but her fears were washed away by something greater.

The realization that it she was possibly carrying Ezra's child.

   Sabine couldn't imagine raising a family with anybody else, so she decided to just take the test and accept whatever the results were.

Ryloth...

Hera watched as Jacen and Zeb threw rocks at Chopper, laughing too hard to scold them for denting the droid's plating. When her comm started buzzing, the Twi'lek woman went into her rebuilt childhood home and took the lift to the office. She answered the call from the desk and smiled when she saw a familiar face.

   "Hey, Sabine. How're you?"

  "I'm fine", the Mandalorian responded quickly. The obvious anxiety in her voice clued Hera in on the opposite.

  "No you're not. Tell me the truth."

   Sabine bit her lip and took a deep breath, holding it for almost 20 seconds. She exhaled and spilled the beans.

  "I'm pregnant."

   Upon hearing those words, Hera smiled from lekku-to-lekku. She was about to offer congratulations when she changed her mind to something a little more cheeky.

  "Whose is it?", the Twi'lek asked with a smirk.

Sabine's eyes widened. "HERA! Whose else would it be?!"

Hera burst into laughter and slapped her desk, the look on Sabine's face totally worth the lame joke. She laughed until she was in tears, sniffling before turning back to the transmission. "I'm just kidding, Sabine. What did Ezra say?"

"He's not home. Helping Jai and Ryder train a new regiment of soldiers for the LDF. He'll be back tomorrow."

LDF is an acronym for "Lothal Defense Force", my idea for the military that built up on Lothal after its liberation.

Well, I'm sure he'll be happy when he finds out. I know I am", Hera said in her typical motherly voice. Her smile quickly faded into a frown, and Sabine immediately knew why.

Kanan.

I know you miss him, Hera. We all do. But just think, he's probably watching over you and Jacen right now."

"I know. I like to think he's here with us every day. But enough about me. I'd better get back outside before Jacen and Zeb beat Chopper back into sheet metal. Give Ezra my congratulations when he gets back."

"Will do. Love you, Spectre 2."

"Love you, too, Spectre 5."

Lothal...

The next day, Sabine let her employers at school know about her pregnancy so they could have her substitute ready when she went on maternity leave. After all of that was done, she simply waited for her husband to come home.

It was 1600 in the afternoon when Ezra drove his speeder into the tower's garage. He opened his Force senses, longing to feel his wife's presence.

Sabine's subconscious bond with Ezra allowed the young man to sense her mood, a trick he often used to prepare her favorite meal as a quick cheer-up, but he felt something different tonight. Sabine's signature was ripe with anxiety, and there was another signature with her.

Had something happened while he was gone? Was she okay?

When the lift opened, Ezra bolted into the living quarters and called for his wife.

"Sabine?!"

"I'm in the living room, babe."

Ezra darted in to see his wife laid out along the length of the sofa. His worries vanished and he sat down, letting her rest her head in his lap.

"I missed you", he cooed as he ran his fingers through Sabine's hair. She grabbed his hand and kissed it. "I missed you, too. How'd the training go?"

"It went great. The new recruits were surprisingly easy to mold into soldiers. Most of them managed to come close my records on the obstacle course", the Jedi said smugly.

The Mandalorian sat up and poked his cheek. "They're still unbroken?"

"You know it."

Sabine sat up and snuggled against her husband, grateful to have him home and in her arms. They sat in silence before Ezra spoke up."

"So when were you gonna tell me about the baby?"

Sabine's eyes went wide and she started stuttering. "W-What baby?"

"I felt another life signature when I got home. It's coming from within you, Sabine."

The Mandalorian sighed when she realized her jig was up.

"I... I was gonna tell you tonight, but I guess there's no need. The Force sure knows how to ruin surprises."

Ezra chuckled and pulled his wife close, putting a hand on her stomach. Concentrating on the new life signature, he smiled.

"I feel her."

"H-her?"

"Sabine... our child's going to be a girl."

Before he could say anything else, Ezra was practically assaulted by a flurry of affection from his wife. She pushed him into his back and kissed him senseless until she ran out of breath.

"Ezra... thank you."

"For what, Bine?"

"For giving me a chance... a chance to succeed where my own family didn't. I'll work my hardest to raise our daughter as best as I can."

Ezra kisses her forehead. "Don't forget, my love, I'll be right here with you."

"I'll hold you to that."

Nine months later, Mira Wren Bridger was born.

Let's just say both Bridger parents shed a lot of tears that day.

Mira is the OC of Meldy-Arts, if any of you didn't know.