Acceptance

Whether or not you wanna see this as a sequel to the last one is up to you. I never intended for them to be connected when I first wrote them.

Anyway, enjoy!!

Ezra stepped down the Gauntlet's ramp, Krownest's snow crunching loudly under his boots. Sabine came down as well, their infant child swaddled warmly in her arms. He locked arms with her and they walked up to the Wren stronghold, two armed Mandalorians waiting at the door for them.

"Welcome home, Viscountess. Your mother and father are waiting for you in the main hall", one of them spoke in Mando'a.

Sabine thanked the guard and they went inside, her husband's anxiety evident in the way he tightened his hold on her arm.

"Ezra, it's gonna be fine. My mother invited us so she could see the baby. You're acting like she's going to skin you alive or something."

  "I haven't seen your family in 6 years, Sabine. For all I know they could skin me alive."

  She kissed his cheek and smiled. "Don't worry. My parents told me several times that they've already accepted you. You're an honorary member of the clan."

  The couple entered the main hall to find Ursa and Alrich sitting side-by-side in the large elevated throne. Tristan walked up to Ezra and shook his hand. "Been a long time, Jetti. You been taking care of my sister?"

  "See for yourself."

  He stepped aside and let Tristan see the bundle in Sabine's arms. The child had smooth skin and dark bluish hair like her father.

   "She looks beautiful. You guys did a great job", Tristan said as he hugged his older sister, "Now you'd better show her to Mom and Dad before they get impatient."

  The former rebels walked to the base of the throne and Ezra bowed respectfully. "Countess. Count."

   Ursa grinned and looked at Sabine. "You've certainly taught him some formality, Sabine. I'm impressed."

   "All due respect, Mother, but I didn't teach Ezra anything. He learned how to be a man by himself."

   Ezra stood up and smirked at his mother-in-law, responding to her in Mando'a. "I also managed to learn a few other things during my time in Wild Space."

   Both Ursa and Alrich's eyes widened at how well he spoke their language, but it was only the latter who said anything about it.

   "Impressive work, Ezra. You gots the
intonations and inflections down perfectly."

   "Thank you, sir."

   Ursa recovered her brain cells and cleared her throat, beckoning Sabine forward. "Are you going to just stand there all day or are you going to let me see my grandchild?"

   Sabine walked up the steps and handed the infant off. "Be careful, Mother."

    "I know how to handle a child, Sabine. I raised two of my... own."

When the Countess grabbed the baby, she saw that her eyes had opened. One of them was golden amber like Sabine's, and the other was cobalt blue like Ezra's. Ursa couldn't believe it.

   "Alrich... she's beautiful."

"She certainly is. What's her name?"

   "We named her Mira... after my mother", Ezra responded, a bit of sadness sneaking into his words. Sabine clasped his hand and kissed his cheek, reassuring him that everything was okay. After Ursa and Alrich had coddled Mira for a good five minutes, they gave the child back to her parents and showed them their room.

   "If you need anything, let us know", Tristan said before leaving them alone.

  Once the door was closed, Sabine set Mira down in the crib that had been prepared and hugged her husband, tucking her head under his chin.

   "See? I told you everything was gonna be fine."

"You were right, Sabine. I shouldn't have worried. I'm just glad your parents accept me."

   When his wife let out a loud yawn, Ezra chuckled and picked her up bridal style. "Shall I escort the lovely Viscountess to bed?"

    Sabine giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Yes, you shall."