| | Glass Hammer | |

Just as quickly as they were put there, Jason's lips were drawn from mine, leaving a faint blush on my cheeks. Although I had kissed people before, both boys and girls, this particular kiss felt different. It felt special. He had showed me that there were some good, genuine people in the world; Jason being one of them. A couple of days wasn't long, but in that short period of time, my feelings for Jason had expanded. But I wasn't jumping into anything just yet. Life isn't like a novel, you can't just be with whoever you want straight away. It takes time, patience and commitment.

" Lets get you back to my place, it's starting to get cold." Jason spoke softly, I knew he was being careful, not wanting me to reject his offer. I just nodded softly, I had nowhere else to go and honestly, there was no person I'd rather be with at that moment in time. Standing up, Jason bent down and carefully picked me up bridal style, smiling that stupid smile at me. As he began walking along the dirt path that would eventually lead us back to the car park, I suddenly realised how much the temperature had dropped and curled into Jason's chest. " You cold babe?" I nodded quickly, my muscles tightening as the cold air washed over them.

His pace picked up until we reached his familiar white truck, placing me down onto my feet for a split second, he opened the side door and gently placed me in the passenger seat. Then Jason draped a thick plaid blanket over me, smiling as he shut the door. A small blush crept onto my cheeks as I pulled the material further up my body. Jason slid into the drivers seat, switching on the warm air as the engine roared into life. " I'll text Dan, let him know you're safe. But I'm not taking you back there," That was why I liked Jason, he already knew. He knew that I didn't want to go back and have to face my dad, he knew that I'd rather be with him.

My dad had never been the nicest person. Although I'd never like to admit it, he was an alcoholic. This particular trait however, was not my fault. He had been like it since our grandmother died, that was one of the reasons that no one told him to stop as much as they should of. I guess we all felt as though it wasn't our place to tell him, because then we'd be telling him not to be sad- and that wasn't fair. But as the alcohol he consumed weekly grew, so did his temper. The slightest thing would set him off. Yet, we would not breathe a word. Who had the right to? But one night, things got out of hand..

' I was cold, even with my sweater and my coat, but it didn't matter. The day was illuminated with that special cold, pale light only winter's Sun could give, and the rain from last night made everything glow with a really slippery ice. It was clear that if it rained that night again, it would fall snow instead of water from the sky. It was the perfect day for staying home, but I had to exit from my house. With that revitalising cold and the soft air, I was stupidly afraid that my tears might freeze as they were falling over my face, but they only kept going down and making my cheeks feel even colder than the rest of my body. Leaving aside my broken, frozen heart, of course.

I couldn't bear to stand in our family home, watching my dad stumble round the house, half drunk. I wouldn't. " What am I supposed to do, God? They tell me to have faith in you, and I'm trying. But you don't seem to be helping me. They tell me your testing me, have I not done well enough? Is that why you continue to torture us? What next?" The words left my lips in a soft whisper as I stared up at the grey sky. Then I heard it- the scream.

The scream tore through me like a great shard of glass. I felt my eyes widen and pulse quicken, my heart thudding like a rock rattling in box. The scream came again, desperate, terrified... human. The blood drained from my face, before I was even aware of making a conscious decision my legs were pounding furiously on the uneven muddy track, my ears straining for more sounds, more clues as to where it had come from. I had no clue as to what I'd do when I got there, just that I had to get there, fast.

It was coming from our house, and I knew exactly who it belonged to as I burst through the door, rushing up the wooden stairs. " Louise!" I shouted loudly, looking round, eyes wide. " Patty! Help!" I heard her young voice cry- it was coming from the bathroom. Clenching my fist, I ran as fast as I could into the small bathroom, shocked at what I saw. My father stumbled towards Louise who sat in the tub, looking up at him, clearly frightened as a deep chuckle escaped his lips. " Oh Emma," He breathed, leaning over as his hand slipped into the water and up her small body, touching her everywhere. But she wasn't Emma, Emma was my mum.

I just stood there, eyes wide, frozen in panic. I knew I should have stopped him, but my feet were nailed to the ground as my eyes welled up with tears. That man, who was molesting his own daughter, was meant to be our farther. He was meant to be the one who we could trust, the one who'd cheer us up when we were sad, the one who'd love us no matter what. " Patty, what's goi- Dad! Get off of her!" Dan yelled, he had come to check on us, to see why we were screaming. I just stared as Dan rushed over, pulling the drunken man back. Grabbing a soft towel, Dan leaned down and gently wrapped it around Louise, quickly carrying her out of the bathroom. She never spoke again...'

Squeezing my eyes closed, I tugged the soft material tight around my body as I let the gentle hum of the engine and the patter of new rain soothe me to sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I awoke suddenly when a fat raindrop crashed down on my forehead as my heavy eyelids opened, staring up at Jason. " Sorry babe, just try and go back to sleep." He said softly, unlocking the door to his comfy abode with great difficulty but eventually managed it, carrying me and my bag inside.

Wriggling carefully out of his grasp, I stretched my lanky arms above my head, a soft yawn escaping my lips.

" Right, well whilst you were asleep, the police called me. They said you're allowed to stay with me tonight as he understands that you'd rather not be at home, but we have to go the station tomorrow. We have to discuss the incident and you're living arrangements for the future," He explained softly, gently placing my duffel bag on the marble counter in the kitchen.

It is truly amazing how every time someone feels emotional pain, it doesn't hurt as a cut or a bruise would. It's just this heavy feeling. Your head spins and it's as if your tongue feels too big for your mouth. You feel the need to wipe away non-existent tears that you want to form but they wont.

And It is truly amazing how every time you feel that pain the only explanation you can sum up, is how you caused that pain on yourself. All that does, though, is bring on even more pain.

Every ounce of you wishes you had the nerve to swing your body off the top of a building. To walk deep into the depths of the ocean and stay down under. To take a gun and place the cool metal down your throat, pulling the trigger, shooting away the pain.

And that's exactly how I felt. Like rushing to the bell tower that stood proudly in the middle of our town, crying out that I couldn't take it anywhere and throwing my limp body off of it- but I wouldn't. I had more decency and self respect then to do such a horrid thing. Although it had crossed my mind more than once. " Okay, thank you. I can just go home if you want me to, I don't want to be an inconvenience. I could just try and go home and speak to my dad, I don't know." I sighed softly, shrugging as I scratched the back of my neck.

Jason just smiled sadly at me, grabbing my hand gently and lacing our fingers together as he led me upstairs. " Now that'd be about as useful as a glass hammer, wouldn't it? I like you being here, so it's fine." I smiled. A genuine smile. One that I decided that I'd only keep for Jason's eyes because only he deserved it.

Once again, our bodies became tangled under Jason's sheets as he kissed my shoulder softly, pulling me closer. I could feel the warmth radiating off of his body, this only made me smile as my eyes fluttered closed and I nosed into his neck. " Night doll," He whispered.

☯ Hey you fabulous people, I'm sorry I took so long to reply- boy troubles. Don't you just hate them. Anyway, what you guys think? I can't believe I'm at 3k reads already! And you are all so wonderful with your comments and votes :) If you ever want to talk, I'm only a click away, I promise I'll reply :) I'd also appreciate it if you followed me :D #PATSONFOREVER yes? No? ☯