| | Aristocats ||

The sky had faded from a mist of pink and orange to a dark abyss, stars stood alone, watching the world being swallowed up by the eternal nightfall.  It had been a good couple of hours crammed in that truck, but Jason had not breathed a word. I wanted to speak up, question him, poke and prod. But I didn't. I knew better.

I chewed my fingers mindlessly, feet tucked up beneath me, heavy plaid blanket draped over me. " I'm sorry Patty." The words were spoken quickly, almost soundlessly, but they were there. " It's okay,  I won't question it. But you know I'm always here if you want to talk Jason."

In the corner of my eye, I saw a faint nod. " It's a long,  complicated story that I thought had been closed, but apparently not. I suppose I should tell you. Marcus was always a spiteful child, thought he always had to compete for everything and be the best.  He always tried to out do me, but there was never any need. Marcus was my older brother, I looked up to him but all he seemed to do was look down on me. When I was 14 I had the chance to box for England, I was ecstatic.  Boxing was what I wanted to do as a career,  you see.

Apparently Marcus didn't like this. My whole family were so proud of me, my mum called me her little boxing champ. "

Although I knew the story probably wouldn't have a happy ending,  I couldn't help but notice Jason's fond smile as he spoke about his childhood.  It was tbe smile anyone got when they thought about family, even if you didn't have a particularly stable one, everyone is bound to have good memories.

" I trained hard,  almost everyday. The match was in Wales and I was buzzing to go. So it came to the day, we packed all our stuff and drove up to the gym in Wales. I remember it like it was yesterday.  There was a large hall, with stands dotted around, pressed up against the wall.  Some were to sign up to that particular gym, somr were selling new brands of engery drinks and some were selling snacks. Peoplr bustled around, talking about the upcoming matches, some filed into the stands. But all my attention was on the larhe red ring in the middle of the hall.

We walked up to a lady who was signing peopke in, only,  when we got there she said there must have been a mistake. Apparently I was not supposed to be there.  My dad pulled out the letter, showing the woman that it clearly stated we should have been. But she shook her head.  She told us that someone claiming to be my father, had phoned up and explained I would not be taking part in the event.

He would have got away with it. He really would have. But as soon as those words left the woman's lips, Marcus burst out laughing. I have honestly never been more angry, more upset. Boxing was the one thing I was good at, and he crushed my dreams with one phone call. It's not just that either,  he stole everything from me. I know it sounds pathetic, but it's the little things that become too much.

He destroyed our family when he stated taking drugs and started drinking. I remember one time my dad was on holiday, Marcus had gone out with a few friends and came back pissed. He locked me in my cupboard then went and beat the crap out of my mum,  like the drunken shit that he is. I could hear everything from that cupboard. I tried so hard to get out of that cupboard, but I couldn't. I'll never forgive him for that."

I frowned, reaching over and grabbing one of Jason's hands," I'm so sorry Jason." He gave my hand a gentle squeeze, " It's fine babe."

***

The knock echoed through the house. I didn't know at the time that that knock would change my life forever. " I'll get it," Jason hummed as he wiped his hands over a tea towel, leaving the washing up as he left to answer the door. I thought nothing of it as I continued to eat my cereal, reading a random article in the news.

' Three brothers in the Philippines butchered their own mother and then ate her organs as part of a ritual killing. The body was found in the 56 year-olds home in Ampatuan, Philippines with several body parts missing. Her 3 sons, Dante, 35, Paroy, 21, and Ibrahim, 18 all deny killing their mother and eating her body parts.