Chapter One (Part 1)

Earth: Chatswood, Sydney, Australia: Saturday-7:50PM; 2043

Somewhat confused and nervously fidgeting with the ball point pen in his right hand, seventeen-year-old Toyokada Mitsuyo watched the VR-MMORPG opening cutscene end just as his phones alarm chimed his favourite tune. Pausing the game Mitsuyo took off his new VR rig.

'Time for dinner.' Mitsuyo sighed frustratedly as he placed the rig on his desk before leaving to make dinner.

Walking up the short hallway of his mother's two-bedroom apartment Mitsuyo turned right into the kitchen, opened the fridge taking out last night's leftovers before plugging in the kitchen's ever-present rice cooker. Then after placing the leftovers next to the still cold pan on the stove he opened the overhead cupboard, took out the rice, filled the cooker with two serves of rice and water then turning it on, reset his phone's alarm before returned to his room.

Sitting back down in front of his computer he stretched, checked his alarm then donned his rig before unpausing the game.

Unexpectedly, instead of the game's avatar creation screen, games credits began to roll up across the games landscape. Annoyed Mitsuyo opened the games virtual keyboard it in front of him using his VR gloves and bypassed the opening credits.

Avatar Creation Field

Mitsuyo stared open mouthed at the naked, anatomically correct avatar in front of him as he turned it left, then right, then up, then down, exploring all the possible views.

'Damn it, Eisen was right,' Mitsuyo smiled as he remembered Eisen's description of the games Avatar creation template. 'the Deluxe Edition does show everything.'. Then, grinning mischievously, Mitsuyo changed the avatar's sex to female, manipulating it so that it faced forward.

One bloody nose later, a red-faced Mitsuyo changed his avatar back to a male. Then, after selecting the humanoid type avatar he began, first he selected its class, then its race, height, body shape and build, facial features, eye and hair colour, little realising just how much time he'd spent crafting his avatar.

Finally finished Mitsuyo examined his newly created warrior using the VR's functions to turn his three-dimensional avatar's body this way on the playing field examined it in detail as he did.

'That's not half bad.' He thought as he tweaked the avatar's face slightly, adding a six-centimetre long scar across its left cheek from just under the eye heading towards its ear.

'Better.' He said as he absentmindedly saved the results.

--------------------------------------------------

Mitsuyo's Humanoid Avatar currently looked like this:

Player Name: Toyokada Mitsuyo

Avatar Name: Mitsu

Sex: Male

Race Type: Humanoid Species: Menaforman*

Class: Warrior Sub Species: N/A

Negative Traits: Maximum luck: eighty[1]

Positive Traits: Stats Breaker

STATS:

Strength: 15

Dexterity: 10

Stamina: 15 (+2 per LvL.. max 250)

Intelligence: 13