Chapter 3: Something Wicked This Way Comes (Part 2)

The Island of Halilintar

An Eastern beach: Lasday: The hour of the Cat.

Mitsu woke just after dawn, the light streaming in through the cave, warming the sands around him. He'd decided to spend last night in the spiderwolf cave because so far, he'd been unable to find anything else offering so much protection from the elements. True, after searching for a few candles he'd spent most of yesterday evening removing the spiderwolf bodies from the cave, cutting a small channel for the stagnant blood and using his mouth to carry water up from the river to wash away, as best he could, the stench from the cave. He'd also checked in on the remaining spiderwolf eggs and determined that he had no idea on when they'd actually hatch, but that it certainly wouldn't be soon.

Unfortunately, dawn had brought along with its beauty a whole new set of issues. Although water had been an issue yesterday it had been solved with the discover of the river, now food was proving to be his major drawback. He'd spent around eight candles yesterday searching not only for anther place to make his base, but also for a source of food and during that time he'd found almost nothing.

Almost. He had found some berries, a few frogs and some small native wildlife (lizards) that he'd hunted, and to be honest they hadn't been that bad, but there was no way they'd sustain him if he remained in the area as he'd already depleted what he'd found.

Recapping yesterday's discoveries Mitsu decided that he only had two choices, he could either continue searching the area for an alternative food and shelter source or he could venture out into the forests, discover where he was, then make plans accordingly. The only thing stopping him at this stage was the thoughts of how such a large colony of spiderwolf's had survived without a similarly close large food source. Unfortunately, whatever had destroyed the nest had also destroyed any evidence of what that food source had been. Having decided that he's solve one question at a time Mitsu resolved to find the spiderwolf's food source as it would immediately solve one of his pressing issues.

The Hour of the Rat

Two candles later, in the hour of the Rat, after following various trails through the woods Mitsu finally came across the remains of what may have been the spider's hunting grounds.

To be honest, one of the only reasons Mitsu initially noticed the destroyed ruins of the goblin village that lay half concealed in the forest below the ridge Mitsu was standing on, was because of the small curls of smoke drifting skyward through the tree canopy. After that, when the mornings sea breeze changed direction, he caught the faint smell of death wafting past his nose.

One candle later Mitsu was standing on the outskirts of the ruined village looking in at the devastated village.

Mitsu had actually stumbled across the trail leading here after leaving the ridge while trying to find his way down to the village. Although, in truth, it was actually a hard trail to miss given the fact that it originated from same beach as the trail to the spiderwolf cave, only on a different branch. However, on the evidence he'd seen it was obvious that whatever creature had destroyed the spiderwolf's lair had also destroyed this village and maybe few other places he'd yet to explore.

Nothing but Death

The first flicker of the hour of the Witch

Tired after the decent and search of the village Mitsu was resting in the shadows of a ruined hut. After all it had taken almost five candles to completely search the village and in all that time all he'd seen was death.

Nothing in the village had been spared. No matter if it was a bird, dog, or bug, neither women or children, old or young, shaman or layman, all were dead. Mitsu hadn't found a single shred of life remaining and the desperate signs of battle, like the rusty swords lying abandoned or the bloody and broken axes imbedded into trees, or the broken spears half driven into burnt-out huts, dominated the village scene.

Although, what worried him the most was the distinct lack the warrior dead. Yes, the dead lay everywhere along with weapons but the remains the weapons welders was nowhere to be found, all that remained were the indistinct patches of smeared blood scattered across the grounds where the weapons owner's bodies had once lain.