Real life

Tom was out doing an interview for Spiderman, far from home. As he laughed and joked around with the cast on the Late Late show his phone started ringing backstage. It was on silent, and it was locked up in his dressing room making the first call went unanswered. But whoever was on the other side of the line was resilient, and persistent. The second ring was longer and took Toms phone to the edge of the dresser, still unanswered.

It wasn't until the fifth call that the phone fell to the ground, and the light bang! alerted one of the backstage crew members. Under normal circumstances, nobody would've disturbed the dressing rooms, however, Toms dressing room was locked, and the star himself was out on stage, so the noise must be from somebody else.

The crew member quickly unlocked the door with an all-access pass, and opened it just in time to see the seventh call light up on Toms phone screen. He looked at the phone and seen 7 missed calls from 'wife'. The crew member didn't need to think twice as he held the phone up to his ear on the 8th ring.

"Sorry but Tom in the middle of an interview. Can you call back later?" He asks quickly.
There was a brief silence on the line. And then a woman's voice that was so refined it almost sounded automated.
"Is this Mr. Tom Holland?"
"No, ma'am. I'm just a crew member of his. Toms currently on stage. He's busy right now. Can you call back later?"
"Uh–" the woman on the other side stammers. "This is quite urgent. I'm calling him because he's listed as the first emergency contact of Katherine Holland."
The crew member gulps.
 "E-Emergency contact? W-What happened?"
"Ms. Katherine Holland has been in a car accident."

The crew member didn't waste any time. He had told the woman on the other line to wait, while he ran out of the dressing room and into the wings. Waving his hands frantically, he tried to get James Cordons, or someones, attention.  As a last resort, the crew member yells his name. The cast and James head whips to squint backstage. The crew member practically walks a little out on stage holding Toms phone up above his head. 

Tom looks at him in confusion as he realizes that the cast member is holding his phone. Smiling at the crowd, he quickly announces he'll be right back. He glances back at the cast with a worried glance as James announces that there going to take a break.

"What's wrong?" Tom asks, walking towards the crew member

The crew member hesitates, and then decides that it's best if he let the automated woman explain. After all, she was used to giving this kind of talk.Tom stared blankly for a moment at his phone screen, and then his features immediately tighten as he sees the contact name. He immediately snatches up his phone and proceeds to walk further and further backstage, until he has reached the quiet of his dressing room.

"Hello?"
"Is this Mr. Holland?"
Tom pulls the phone from his ear, glances at the name, before answering.
"Yes, this is him speaking. Might I ask who this is? And why you have my wifes phone?"

Was this some sort of prank? Did Kit leave her phone somewhere and a fan somehow picked it up? In that case, Tom was already ready to get annoyed, and was just about to blurt something out when the woman on the other side interrupted him.

"Mr. Holland, you are listed as the primary emergency contact of Katherine Holland, are you aware of that?"
Tom shuts his dressing room door and leans against the wall.
"Yes. Yes I am aware of that."
"Katherine Holland has been in an accident, Mr. Holland. A car accident. I've been trying to reach you for a while now. I'm–"
"Wait, wait," Toms head is spinning. He catches a glance of himself in the mirror, and he's seeing double. Why was it so hot in the room? He takes off his jacket and throws it on the ground. "Excuse me? Katherine has been–what?"
"In a car accident, sir."
"When?" Toms chest was heaving.
"Half an hour ago. Her body was found in the middle of the highway–"
"Is she–is she–?" He asks, unable to finish as he chokes back the tears.
"The last I heard, Ms. Holland was in an ambulance, on her way to the nearest hospital. Alive."

The crew member who had first received the call knocks on the door. Tom doesn't realize he's crying until then. 

"Tom? It's time to go back on stage."
Tom ignores him.
"What hospital is she in right now?" 

After receiving the name, he hangs up the phone. Not bothering to change out of his interview attire, he unlocks the door and walks past everybody standing in his way. He's making a bee-line for the exit, when Jacob calls out to him. Toms hears them, hears them loud and clear, but ignores him as he walks out the door.

As he arrives at the hospital he sees Robert there, his head in his hands. Rushing up to him, Downey stands up and looks at his Son in law. Tom quickly pulls him into a hug and Robert holds onto him tightly.

"Why her?" Tom cried.
"She'll be okay." Robert assured him.