eight

third person pov

"lee donghyuck is coming into the school, girls!" a fangirl hushed over the phone as she hid behind a bush.

donghyuck eventually went back to his original idea of continuing to use his brown contacts and to just tell everyone that he meant to hide his new eye colour. he was planning on telling jihye that it was his birthday, but he wasn't sure whether he'd tell her the news first or she'd find out by the squealing fangirls.

donghyuck made his way down the hallway as clusters of students stared at him in confusion. it seemed like half the school knew it was his birthday and they were all wondering why he hadn't received his eye colour yet. he met jaemin, jeno and renjun halfway down the hall near his locker.

"hey," he nodded, approaching them.

"so who's the lucky person?" jaemin winked, then leaned in and asked, "you're wearing contacts aren't you."

donghyuck nodded. "yeah."

"so who is it?" renjun asked the question again.

"i-i don't know," donghyuck tried to lie.

"bitch you don't say 'i don't know' and stutter," jeno laughed. "c'mon that's just a dead giveaway."

hyuck puffed in irritation as he left the huddle and went to the classroom, only to find jihye drooling on his table.

"UP, FUCKER," he commanded her as she jolted awake, wiping her cheek.

"good morning to you too," she lazed. "i heard it's your birthday today."

ah shit... donghyuck thought.

"how'd you know?"

jihye jerked her thumb in the direction of a few girls who had their faces pressed against the glass windows of the classroom. they jumped back and hurried away.

"ah right."

it only takes four seconds for a silence to become awkward.

fifteen seconds passed.

"well, where's your eye colour then?" jihye asked, checking donghyuck's left eye. she arched her eyebrow as if to ask her question again when donghyuck stammered.

"u-uh, i covered it up with a coloured contact," donghyuck blurted.

"huh, why?"

"umm... because my mother told me so."

"aww what a good boy."

"well, she didn't actually," donghyuck scratched the back of his head. before coming up with a better excuse. "it's so that i don't get distracted from my studies."

"ohh, what a good student," jihye teased.

"at least i'm not gonna be jobless in the future," donghyuck snapped back at her with a witty remark.

"i may be a dumb bitch but i ain't fucking stupid," jihye sneered defiantly. "i'll just go work at starbucks or some other fast food shit."

"peasant," donghyuck laughed.

"rich bitch," jihye stuck out her tongue. the two laughed.

jihye then leaned in, as if to gossip. "so, what's the new colour like?"

donghyuck managed to control the blush that eased its way up to his ears and cheeks.

"pretty, i guess?"

"prettier than mine?" jihye chuckled, blinking in expectation.

donghyuck choked back the absurdity of the situation.

"uh, yeah?"

"aw man, you're meant to side with me!" jihye 'hmph'ed. "anyway, whoever your soulmate is, i feel so goddamn sorry for them because they'll have to put up with your shit forever."

"ahah... hahaha... yeah..." donghyuck said while mentally malfunctioning on the inside.

WELL GUESS WHAT YOU'RE MY SOULMATE AND I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA HOW I'M GONNA HIDE THIS FROM YOU ANY LONGER.

"oh hey guys!" jihye waved past donghyuck's shoulder to the three boyd that entered the classroom behind one another. they smiled their 'hello's and immediately shoved their faces up to donghyuck's to inspect his eye.

"contacts?" renjun arched a brow.

"yeah, so i don't get distracted."

(lmaooo what a bigass lie, donghyuck)

"how sensible of you," jaemin laughed, then stole a quick glance at jihye when she wasn't looking. donghyuck saw and jaemin immediately regreeted it.

donghyuck clenched his jaw and spoke with his intense glare, as if to say 'don't even think about it'.

jaemin slouched back behind jeno to hide his small embarrassment and to avoid donghyuck's piercing stare.

~

"soo.... when are you gonna show me your soulmate's eye?" jihye asked donghyuck for the nth time that day.

"you'll.... find out soon enough."

perhaps donghyuck really meant that he'd show her someday.

but it was jihye's birthday in ten days.

-----

i'm feeling so undead now!! :DD

- gao an