nine

third person pov

(lunch, the same day)

donghyuck, jihye, jaemin, jeno, renjun, mark, jisung and chenle sat at their usual table during lunch.

"hyung, why don't you have your eye colour yet?" jisung asked the unavoidable question.

"because," renjun answered for donghyuck, "he's a good boy focusing on his studies, little jisung."

"bitch i'm fifteen," jisung snapped in annoyance.

"then you should be in middle school," jihye laughed, leaning over the table to ruffle his fluffy hair. "you look twelve, to be honest."

"at least i'm not short," jisung sneered back. jihye gasped, exaggerating her hurt feelings.

"ouch," jeno laughed.

"why is he in high school anyway? isn't he meant to be in year nine?" jihye asked her question again.

"because i'm super smart and all, i skipped year eight, hehe," jisung chuckled.

"wow you didn't need to flex like that," jihye rolled her eyes.

"it's just because he started school a little early," chenle explained the real reason. "he's actually only four months younger than me because he's born in february."

"oh," jihye nodded. "that makes sense."

"pfft, do things usually not make sense to you?" donghyuck scoffed.

"yeah."

"wow i'm sorry to hear that," jaemin comforted her with a hint of a smile.

"i don't need your sympathy," jihye shoved jaemin off her as he clung to her arm. mark tried not to snort his orange juice as jaemin was shoved off the bench.

"oops," jihye smiled.

"i'll get you someday," he aid aggressively, but with a laugh.

hoever, jaemin's ears turned pink but only donghyuck noticed.

~

the bell sounded for the end of the school day, and donghyuck trudged out of the school gates alone as he watched his friends head off together, having fun.

he sighed.

i have tutoring, even on my birthday...

it's a sad life being top of the grade.

he made his way silently to the bus stop where he waited for his bus to his tutor's house.

~

"is he gone?" jaemin whispered as he and the six other observed donghyuck walk away from behind a bush.

"yeah i think so," mark said, glancing over the hedge.

"come, on, we've only got two hours until he gets home," jihye beckoned the others out of the bush and the seven of them made their way to donghyuck's house.

they approached the familiar, mansion-like residence. mark led the group to the front gate of the never-ending driveway and stood in front of the doorbell beside it. he pressed it once and a camera switched on.

"hi mrs lee, it's me, mark. i'm here with donghyuck's friends, is it okay if we throw him a surprise party when he gets back home from tutoring today?"

a static sound of the microphone switching on came before mrs lee's reply.

"sure, dears."

the gate opened and they made their way to the front door that was opened from the inside by the butler.