❀ | five

Her father slapped her at seven.

            She had just come back from her daily ethics class. Though irony claimed that she wasn't being ethical that day.

            The fortunate are always meant to take advantage of others far less superior to themselves. It's a natural form of action. Which deserve a lesson after being done. 

            Degrading a homeless child on the street isn't an attribute of kindness. It was rather a harsh act of pity, more devious than pitiful. Which was what the young girl had done in a crude manner. 

            Speaking of the child, she was in her bedroom, crying and wondering what she had done. Is telling the truth really a bad thing? Maybe they're teaching it all wrong at school

            The door to her bedroom clicked open and in came the father. Without looking at his daughter, he sat down beside her and feigned interest in his nails.

            "I lost my job today."

            "Father! How?"

            "I'm sorry, dear. We can't live here anymore. This luxury is uncommon for an unemployed man. Therefore, we shall live on the street."

            "There must be a way to find another job."

            "I know. But for now, we have to dwell in the street. Cover ourselves with garbage bags in case it rains and eat leftover Ramen until we run out of it."

            She shuddered at the thought of living a life fit for a peasant before suggesting an idea. "How about your office friends? Can they not help you?"

            "I'm afraid not. You see, people who are fortunate don't give their sympathy. They torment the peasants on the streets and spit at their feet. That's just the way of the world."

            "I've never realized how mean people can—" The words came to a halt and she glanced up at her father, guilt swimming in her eyes. "Otosan?"

            "Yes?"

            "I think I hurt someone's feelings today."

            "I think so too. However, do you know why I hit you today?" 

            "Was I being rude? I'm sorry."

            "Well, yes. But it's more because I love you." 

            He leaned over and pulled her into his embrace. "I love you so much that I hit you. I wanted to teach you a lesson. That it's wrong to act provocatively to others who seem inferior. Because when you do that, you're actually lacking something that they have. And that is respect."

            She pulled away and wiped the last of her tears. "If you'll excuse me, I have someone to apologize to."