❀ | six

She moved at eight.

            Her father—the unofficial heir to a new company—was issued to move to Hong Kong where his business resides. It was quite okay for the young girl as she wasn't leaving anyone behind. The only downfall was that she was leaving her home country.

            She would be a city girl, instead of the coastal girl she was. Rather than waking up to the scent of sea salt and yellowtail tuna, she would breathe in the perfume of workers lining the streets and tapioca pearls from consecutive markets. She would go to a new school and learn a daily preference of mathematics, science, and English. This was to be simple, no? 

            Adjusting to different places is bound to be difficult at one point. From the positioning of relevant streets to the expected rituals, there would always be a time in which one would need guidance in order to get things right. 

            After the eight-year-old finished setting up her bedroom, she glanced down at the aquarium her father brought her. It was swarming with aquatic animals. Jikin fish glide along with water, creating ripples and other mesmerizing effects as they go. 

            And for a smitten of a moment, she felt as if she was home