Chapter 9: Personal Reminders

Third Person POV 

Ever since Yang got her robotic arm, she's been training with her dad, Tai. Every day or so, she and Tai have been training. 

To Yang

Yang blocks a punch from Tai and throw a kick at him. Tai blocks it and throws at punch at her but Yang blocks it and it blows her back. As they charged at each other, Zwei sat in front of them watching them fight. Tai spins around in the air and delivers a kick to Yang. She blocks with her arm and throws a punch at Tai with her robotic arm, launching him back. Tai knelt in front of her as he held his arm. 

Tai: Whoa. That thing sure packs a punch. 

Yang: We've been at this for weeks. I get it. You want to make sure I can still fight. *Pumps her hands together.* I think I'm doing just fine. 

Tai: You're close. 

Yang: Oh really? 
She asked as she put her hand on her hips. 

Tai: You're still off balance. 

Yang: What! No I'm not!.......Honestly I'm kind of surprised......I thought it would just be this huge weight but...it feels natural. This did a great job with this thing. 

As Yang was admiring her robotic arm, Tai threw a punch at her. Yang stumbles back but spins to elbow him. Tai blocks it and ducks as Yang threw 2 kicks at him. Yang threw a punch as she holds Tai's elbow inches away from her face.

 Tai: I wasn't talking about your actual balance. 
He said as he held Yang's robotic arm. 

Then he knocks Yang down onto her back and walks to grab towels. 

Tai: Although that could use some work too. 
He said as he grabbed a towel from Zwei. 

Yang: Meaning? 

Tai: I saw your tournament fights. During the Vytal Festival. 

Yang: Let me guess......"I was sloppy." 
She said, mimicking Tai. 

Tai: No. No. You were predictable. And stubborn......And maybe a little boneheaded. 

Yang gets up and looks at him as she crossed her legs. 

Tai: Do you realize you used semblance to win every fight after the qualifiers? 

Yang: So what? *Turns around* How is my using my semblances any different than someone using theirs? 

Tai: Because not everyone else's is basically a temper tantrum. 

Yang scoffs at her father. 

Tai: Yang. I'm serious. Once you take damage. You can dish it back twice as hard but that doesn't make you invincible. *Yang looks at him* It's great when your in a bind but what happens if you miss? What happens if they're stronger? What then? Now you're just weak and tired. *Yang looks down* You've always been one to burn brighter than everyone else, whether it was our smile or well. I remember your first haircut. 
He said as he touched her hair, making Yang push his hand back. 

Tai: But you got to keep your emotions in check. Keep a level head and think before you act. Your semblance is a great fallback but you can't let yourself rely on it. It won't always save you. Obviously........You definitely have your mom's stubbornness. 

Yang: So now we can talk about her? 
She asked as she looked at him. 

Tai: Well. As I have been informed. You're an adult now remember? 

Yang: Well. Sorry I remind you of her. 

Tai: Don't be......Your mother was great in many ways. Her strength. Her ambition. Her dedication to whatever causes she thought was worth fighting for. I'm proud of much of her I see in you ........but I'm glad I don't see all of her in you.