one

The day started just the same as any other for Theodora Watson. She rose from the bed as soon as the sun had risen thanks to her trusty alarm. Before she could get dressed she rushed to the bathroom and thoroughly brushed her teeth before and washed her face smooth. And once she finished she rubbed her moisturizer over her bare brown skin that always seemed to glisten under the natural night that beamed through the window. 

As she finally made her way to the walk-in closet, her phone had rung and she didn't hesitate to answer.

"This is Theo." She spoke before placing it on speaker and continuing her habitual process.

"Hey, it's your favorite assistant." A cheery voice said over the line.

"Good morning, Rach. Something wrong?"

"No, just a sudden change to your schedule. Boss said it's urgent that you see her immediately upon arrival. Is there anything you'd like me to do before you get here?"

"Shit." She muttered to herself whilst buttoning up her plain white top.

"Uh, can you organize my schedule accordingly? I was supposed to be interviewing someone and it's probably good that it's been pushed back. I haven't had the chance to fully research the person anyways. Remind me who it is?"

"Renatta Gilbert. She's a renowned humanitarian who's proposed a way to help spread awareness on climate change and a long list of global issues. They're already calling her the next Mother Teresa so I'd suggest nailing this. I see she's also a vegan so I made a reservation at a nearby vegan-friendly restaurant for two as a way of apologizing for the delay. Anything else?" Rachel quickly responded.

"I love you and I don't know what I would do without you. See you in a bit."

"Peace."

As soon as she ended the call she hurriedly squeezed herself into her pencil skirt and tucked the top in. Once she was straightened out, she tossed on a blazer and stepped into a sleek pair of heels. 

She then combed her honey brown waves over her shoulder and after applying a thin layer of lip balm under a nude brown lip she was ready to go. On her way out she grabbed her bag by the door and hurried to her car that sat outside her quiet home.

And as she started her way to work her phone had rung yet again. Without looking she hooked it up to the speaker and carried on.

"This is Theo."

"And this is Alex. Is that seriously your greeting?" Her best friend giggled over the line.

"Shut up. It's supposed to be professional."

"Are you trying to convince me or you?"

"Did you call just to mock me or is this conversation actually going to go somewhere?"

"I called to invite you out for some fun, we can hang out like old times."

"You mean like last night? We were out so late that I forgot to get my shit together for work. I'm never going to allow you to seduce me like that any longer." 

"What if I told you it was a cooking class specializing in baking a molten lava cake tonight?" Alex hummed.

"I'll think about it. No promises." She relented.

"Good enough for me. See ya, babe."

After hanging up the phone she sped to her place of work and for once arrived earlier than usual. She then parked near the entrance and hurried inside to greet the perky receptionist on the first floor. Her head popped up once she heard footsteps and smiled at the sight of Theo.