six

Renatta Gilbert.

"Come again?"

"It was Renatta." Cassandra simply reiterated.

By now the trio felt it necessary to regroup in a quiet corner whilst simultaneously keeping a wary eye on Renatta. The seemingly perfect woman smoothly walked through the crowd charming every guest with a smile.

"And why would she do that?"

"I don't know yet, but that's what you need me for. Help me help you."

"I'm just supposed to believe your word like that?"

"I'm a reputable writer and private investigator. It's quite literally my job to know everything, but the one thing I don't have is actual proof that could help lock the psycho bitch away."

"I don't understand. You want me to help you with some unnamed task so you can pin the attack on Renatta? This doesn't make sense. How do I know it wasn't you or Aiden? Or anyone else for that matter?"

"Aiden is a jobless bum who couldn't even think to come up with a plan to kill you. No one else gives two shits about you enough to harm you. And if I wanted you dead, water boy wouldn't have been able to stop me. No offense Theo, but you have a predictably steady schedule that hardly ever changes."

"Say that I believe you. Why help me? You hate me."

"I can explain it later. You already know how I feel about you and frankly, I don't care if you live or die after tonight. So if I'm reaching out to you to work together, then isn't it obvious it's important?"

"Maybe. What now then?"

"We kill her." Poseidon casually spoke up.

"And have a seemingly unwarranted murder on your hands?" Cassandra noted.

"I could do it without a trace."

Theo turned all her attention on the all too calm god who just seconds ago threatened to kill a person. Despite the fact that she may or may not have tried to kill Theo, it didn't feel right.

"You wouldn't."

"Says who?" He asked without missing a beat.

"Me. Can you please stay cool for once?"

"But she-"

"But nothing. You're not doing it."

And while the two had gotten caught up in yet another disagreement, Cassandra smirked at the sight of the two somehow being drawn right into each other's personal space. But it was only funny for so long.

"Anyway, you two lovers think about it. Meanwhile, I'll be sitting on something that concerns the fate of this shitty world. Ciao."

With that being said she simply turned and vanished among the mass leaving the two with tense air between them.

"Can you take me home?"

"Renatta is right there. And you want to walk away?"

He was frustrated. His nose flared with every word that slipped from his clenched jaw and had it not been such terrible timing, Theo would have found it all too attractive. But at that moment all she wanted was the comfort of her bed and a bucket to empty out the stirring in her stomach.

"I just want to go home, please."

This time she didn't wait for him to answer before turning away and speeding out of the stuffy building. Once she was out in the crisp air of the night she felt it much easier to breathe but it did nothing to ease her sudden anxiety.