nine

Not too far from the couple in bliss stood a person growing irritated by the second. They couldn't remember how long they stood there watching but at this point they were miserable.

"How long do I have to watch this man devour her face? I have the shot and I'm taking it." They said into the phone.

"No," came the second voice, "your task was to keep updates on them. We still have a plan and we don't have time for your flair for the dramatic."

"Me? Dramatic?" They gasped.

"Yes. It's like you watched every bad action flick from the 80s. Must you try to kill her during every moment she spends with him? You're supposed to scare her, not traumatize her." The more rational one replied.

"Am I not allowed to have fun? Why do I get the boring tasks anyways?"

"Because you're already in the loop. Let her keep trusting you and the job will become much easier. Besides, my job is happening as we speak. In just days we'll show the world who these monsters truly are and then we'll break them."

They then shivered uncontrollably at the sometimes frightening conviction in their tone. It was evident that this was no more than a chilling act of revenge for them.

"Good. I'm out."

And with one last glance at the happy couple, they vanished as if they were never there.

*

"You might be the god of the sea, but damn that was one electric kiss," Theo muttered against his lips.

"That was the corniest thing I've ever heard," Ryan chuckled, already leaving a trail of aforementioned kisses up her jawline up until she shivered under his touch.

"It made you laugh. Worth it."

Stuck in a world of their own, the two finally took a step back and gazed at each other just to soak in what had actually happened. For him, it was something he'd been dreaming of ever since he first laid eyes on her. And for her, it was a bit complicated in a way she couldn't put into words. But she couldn't deny the pull that kept her drawn to him so she pushed the thoughts aside and focused solely on him.

"Do you have plans tomorrow?" He asked.

For a second her stomach dropped at the reminder of her own plans made behind his back.

"A few. I have a lunch date with a friend and uh, I should be free soon after." She vaguely answered.

"And tonight?"

"I'm free and I could be swayed if someone were to make a tempting offer."

"Then I formally invite you to my home for our first official date. I've been told I make a killer fettuccine alfredo."

"I'd love nothing more." She smiled.

And so the two finally parted with Theo following closely behind his car in hers carefully making their way to a home that proved to be quite as secluded as his secret spot. It was no surprise that the home sat before a vast beach privately owned by him.

Not long after they parked in front of the home did she hurry to rejoin his side and walk into the manor already impressed by the modern architecture.

They had only made a few steps in when she heard two distinct voices, one more familiar than the other not from where they stood. And while she was curious, Ryan's shoulders slightly sagged and he noticeably deflated at the sound of his forever disruptive brothers.

He took a few sharp turns eventually finding them moving around the kitchen surprised to see a small female sheltering herself behind his domineering figure.