five

Poseidon could only be described as a rather magnetic puzzle of a man who constantly leaves a lot to the imagination. My first encounter with the otherwise private god didn't fare as well as I'd hoped, but it did give me a glance of how he was brought up. His people pride themselves in their rare abilities and their mysterious origin. While he couldn't reveal much about his kind it was evident that they were near and dear to him. At first glance, he's a pretty closed off person who offers very little conversation to be said. But I've come to notice that when he's passionate about something there's a gleam in his eyes reminiscent of a child on Christmas morning.

I've talked to many people, I've traveled near and far for articles, and I can say I've never quite found a subject quite like him...

"Careful there. The last bit almost makes it sound like you like him." Alex hummed into Theo's ear.

"I'm being kind. Please get your lunatic mind out of the gutter. Other than that unnecessary comment, what do you think so far?"

She leaned aside to allow Alex to peruse the entire article she'd written thus far. Besides Joan, she was one of the first to beta read her works. Her opinion may hardly ever be serious the majority of the time but she valued her every thought.

"It sounds like a great start. Are you having a change of heart about him? Last time I checked he was a jerk. What's changed?"

"He's acting differently. I can't explain it but with each encounter, he seems to be opening up and letting me in a little more each time."

"So on your date tonight, he should be a real treat then eh?"

"It's not a date. We're going to talk to Cassandra and that is it."

"In my stories, this is the event that speeds things up a bit. You initially arrive for professional duty, but then you get to drinking and dancing and suddenly the two of you wind up in a sticky situation where it's become clear that there's something more brewing beneath the surface. But just when things begin to heat up, the moment is ruined by a third party and both potential lovers attempt to forget that it ever happened."

"But," she dramatically paused, "they can't stop the warmth beneath their cheeks whenever they look at each other. Or the sudden flare of irritation when they notice the many admirers."

"Alex, I need you to get out more and I should really confiscate all of your books. You sound insane."

"I can't wait to say I told you so. Remember this day as the day you were warned. Ooh, when is he picking you up? Perhaps if I explained it to him, things would really get exciting."

"If you speak even a word to him, you will come up missing."

"Jealous?"

"Concerned for your mental health."

"Whatever. I came to have a good time and I'm feeling very attacked right now."

"You came to help pick an outfit for the party, idiot. It's either the fit and flare dress or the plain slacks and blouse."

"The fit and flare dress with off the shoulder sleeves?"

"Yeah."

"The black one that also gives you magnificent cleavage and makes your thighs look to die for?"

"I guess?"

"Is that even a question? You will be the belle of the ball in that dress. "

And she was right. It was her go-to first date outfit that didn't get her too far, unfortunately. But when she did wear it, she found that she was often the center of attention. The sweetheart neckline was designed with a flattering push up cups that left no need for a supportive bra and the all too soft material of the wide skirt fell just below the middle of her thighs. With every spin, she felt giddy at the sight of the flare of the skirt.