seven

Poseidon was a man of few words, but plentiful thoughts. While he preferred to keep most of them to himself, he always had a snarky comment to suffice. This is why it frustrated him beyond words when he couldn't even begin to understand just why he was so enamored with Theo.

He was never one for fairy tales or the cheesy love stories he found that mortals were obsessed with, yet every moment with her felt like something out of a movie. Somehow the world did slow down when he was with her. Nothing else but her existed to him when she was around.

And that reason alone was why he needed to steer clear of her until he felt like himself again.

The night that he took her to his sacred solace was a mistake he couldn't believe he made. At that moment, seeing her so down nearly killed him and he thought to do anything to make her smile. And it worked all too well.

While the god was having his own personal crisis, Theo woke up with a newfound pep in her step. She surprised herself when she leaped out of bed earlier than usual and danced around the kitchen cooking a hearty breakfast to start the day.

She was mid-concert when a sudden call interrupted her performance.

"This is Theo." She answered.

"And this is Alex. Do I hear Rick Astley in the background?"

"Um, must be the neighbors.." She said as she subtly lowered the volume.

"Right. So I was just calling to check on you, but it sounds to me like you're doing pretty good."

"I am. I feel great and focused. Although I have yet to reach out to Cassandra. But I feel like I'm getting a little bit of a handle on everything."

"That have anything to do with your late-night rendezvous with a certain someone?"

"It was not a rendezvous. It was a tranquil moment between friends and it was amazing. To be able to see just a sliver of his world before my eyes was unforgettable."

Just the very mention of the magic she witnessed brought a smile to her face as she dumped the steaming breakfast onto her plate.

"I can just feel the cheesy grin through the phone. He's got you sprung."

"Shut up. Is that all you called me for?"

"Pretty much. But aside from that, what's on the agenda for the day?"

"I'm having a quick sit down with Michael Rourke. Just to get him caught up on the article and hand the baton to him for a while. It's best that I take a step back for now so I can focus on the Renatta deal."

"Is he cute?" Alex had to ask.

"I have no idea. I did all my research and he's infamously private. The only time he pops out of his shell is for quick projects and then he's gone. It's admirable. Not many care so little about the recognition of their work."

"This is the same guy that busted the mayoral scandal last year?"

"Yup. Joan couldn't have picked a better writer."

"She did and that was you."

"Flatterer."

"Just being honest. But I should let you go. Don't forget to tell me if he's hot. If he is, let him know that you're single."

"Bye."

Once she ended the delightfully entertaining call, she finished her breakfast in record time. And the outfit for the day was a casual pair of skinny jeans and a plain white blouse that she paired with a flattering set of heels. And after spending what felt like a lifetime combing her hair, she made the sudden decision to walk to her destination for once.