Chapter 1: Guests from the North

"Brother, wake up already! Father is expecting us!" A young woman--around seventeen years old--stood outside her brother's chamber, pounding loudly on his door. She had long, flowing jet black hair that nearly reached the floor. Her ears came off to a sharp point and her golden eyes glimmered in the morning sun. She wore a loose shirt and pants but no shoes. It was Callista.
  "Ngh... Five more minutes Sister..." Aurelio grumbles from inside the room, rolling over in his bed and pulling the blankets over his head.
  "Now!" Callista's shouts were stern and authoritative, strong enough to break even the most stubborn of wills. "You know Father hates to be kept waiting!"
  "Very well..." Aurelio reluctantly crawls out of bed and gets dressed. He sighs and opens the door, looking at his sister with a sleepy glare. "What's the big deal anyway? It's Sunday, I'd like to sleep in early..."
  "I dunno, all Momma told me was that we have important company. C'mon, they're down in the main room."

  Aurelio and Callista head towards the steps leading towards the main meeting room of the castle. Aurelio walks down normally, Callista hops up and slides down the banister with a chuckle. Aurelio shakes his head.

  "Why can't you be normal for once?" Aurelio says. "Stairs are meant to be walked on."
  "Loosen up Aurelio!" Callista smiles. "You used to be so fun! What happened to the old you? You're all serious and brood-y now."
  Aurelio scoffs. "I don't brood..."

  The two enter the meeting room and stand beside Arturo and Adalia, who were both dressed in their royal attire.

  "You two couldn't have dressed a bit nicer?" Adalia sighs. "We have guests after all..."
  "My royal outfit needs refitting." Callista says. "Can I get a new one? Preferably one without shoes?"
  "Someone wouldn't give me the time to change into mine." Aurelio grumbles.
  "Maybe if you didn't sleep so much!" Callista retorts.
  "Alright, that's enough you two." Adalia says, effectively quieting the siblings. "Listen to what our guests have to say."

  Three women stood before Arturo and Adalia. One had long brown hair and was dressed in light, jet black armor that was accented with blue plating. Another one of the women was dressed in similar armor, albeit hers was much more heavy, almost like Rochelle's armor. The heavily armored woman looked no older than Aurelio or Callista. She had short white hair and seemed incredibly shy, awkwardly trying her best to hide herself behind the other two. The last woman was dressed in a long, flowing cowl and had a suspicious air to her. She had very short red hair and a smirk on her face. The long haired woman steps forward and gets down on one knee, bowing before Arturo and Adalia.

  "King Arturo. Queen Adalia. It's truly an honor to be in your presence. Thank you for allowing this time-"
  "Please," Arturo chuckles. "Stand up. You don't have to be so formal."
  "Oh? Very well." The woman chuckles, a bit surprised. "My name is Maude. I'm a royal knight from the kingdom of Vibestia."
  "Vibestia? My, you three have travelled quite the distance." Adalia says. "You all must be exhausted. Aurelio, Callista, why don't you two make yourselves useful and get our guests some chairs."
  "Thank you, I appreciate the offer, but that won't be necessary." Maude says.
  "I dunno, I wouldn't mind a chair." The red haired woman says. "And a drink if you all have any. I've heard that this kingdom makes excellent wine."
  "You'll be fine Alda." Maude sighs. "Anyways, as much as I hate to be the bearer of this, we've come here to Arqferi seeking your help and solace."
  "Of course, we're all friends here. How can we be of service Maude?" Arturo asks.
  "I'm afraid it's Vibestia." Maude says. "It's-"
  "It's gone to shit." Alda sighs. "The whole kingdom's a mess."
  "Alda! Please show more respect! We're in the presence of royalty!" Maude upbraids.
  "No, it's fine," Arturo says. "But is it true? Is Vibestia truly in danger?"
  "I'm afraid so," Maude sighs. "Our kingdom has been dealing with a bit of a civil strife for a while now. Many have been angry over the appointment of our new queen. They started out with simple protests, but after the crowds were riled up by the sudden appearance of a barbarous warmonger by the name of Sieghild. We don't know where she came from or if she has any ulterior motives, but by her hand, Vibestia has exploded with civil war. I'm just distraught that I can't do more for my kingdom..."
  "That's terrible," Arturo says with a sigh. "The Vibestians are our allies, but, I'm not sure if we can help. Can't you and the rest of the army fight back?"
  "No, I'm afraid us three are the only ones who are still loyal to our queen. The rest have succumbed to Sieghild's violent ways..." Maude sighs. "That's why we fled here, to Arqferi. We were hoping, that well, if it isn't too much to ask of me, that perhaps you could lend us some of your soldiers, so that we may lead a counter-revolution against the revolters..."
  "And I hate to say this, but who knows where else Sieghild will go?" Alda says. "If we let her destroy our kingdom, she'll head out and look for another one to destroy. What's stopping her from coming here, hm? If this goes unchecked, she could lay waste to all of Sanasa."
  "Believe me, that's the last thing I want to happen." Arturo sighs. "The last thing I want is a war, but-"
  "Forgive me for talking out of turn Father, but I say we help them." Aurelio says. "If what Alda says is true, then when need to strike now. If we can take out Sieghild while the problems in Vibestia are still fresh, we can help to restore their kingdom and stop a potential conquest."
  "I appreciate your concerns Aurelio, but how do you plan to stop this? You can hardly fight. From the sound of it, this Sieghild lady is a slaughterer. I'm not going to send my son into a war we have no affiliation with." Arturo says.
  "But we are affiliated. You said so yourself that Arqferi and Vibestia have been allies for a while now. Are we going to allow our allies to rot? We have to stop this, lest this rot turns to more hatred and war comes here. We have to nip the bud while it's still festering."
  "Aurelio, no."
  "But Father-"
  "No. End of story-"
  "Arturo, this is definitely something we're going to have to talk about, but if Aurelio wants to help, then we should let him." Adalia interjects. "But for now, I imagine our guests have had a long day. Aurelio, be a dear and show them around the castle. Give them food and lodging. You too Callista, make haste."
  "Very well," Aurelio nods. He gestures for Maude and her group to follow him. "Come along you three."