Chapter 13: A God's Message

The group steps through the corridor and into the winding halls of the castle. They made their way up towards the throne room and stood before the giant gilded doors. Aurelio went to push them open but stops. He remembered the stories his father had told him, about how his late great uncle Amado had once sat beyond these doors. Arturo had told him about how the throne was suddenly thrust upon him, and how one day he hoped that Aurelio would take his place. That wasn't what Aurelio wanted, but his pleas went unheard. His father was the absolute ruler of Arqferi, and he was a man set deep in tradition. What he says goes, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

  Aurelio sighs and pushes open the doors to the throne room. "Mother? Father?"

  Aurelio's voice echoed quietly through the billowing room. At first there was no response but then Adalia appears, dressed in her evening attire. She looks around for a moment, trying to find who called, and then she sees Aurelio and Callista and a wide smile stretches across her face.

  "Aurelio! Callista!" She rushes over and scoops the two up in a crushing bear hug, her strength lifting the two off of the ground.
  "Mother, you're embarrassing us..." Aurelio wheezes.
  "Oh hush, you're fine." Adalia says. "I haven't seen my babies in so long! You two are thin as rails! Have you been eating? You're not hurting anywhere, are you?"
  "They're fine My Queen." Ian says. "I've taken the utmost importance in keeping them safe."
  "That's good Ian- Ian? What are you all doing here? Have you not dealt with the Vibestians?"
  "Not quite." He sighs. "Unfortunately, our supplies have dropped quite low. We returned in hopes of replenishing ourselves."
  "Well, you know where everything is." Adalia says with a bit of a chuckle. "Take a much as you need. You two can go help him."
  "Actually Mother, we've been meaning to have a word with you." Aurelio says. "It's important."
  "Oh?" Adalia looks over at the rest of the group. "You all get going, and make sure to shut the doors behind you. We'll be down in a moment."

  The group exits, closing the great gilded doors. The room was quiet again, and a heavy ambiance seemed to hang over them.

  "Where's Father? He should hear this too." Aurelio says.
  "In bed. It's been a long day, and it's best that we don't stir him." Adalia says. "Now then, what's the matter?"
  "It's about me Momma." Callista says, her yellow eyes tearful. "How long have you known?"
  "Known what sweetie?" Adalia leans in and wipes Callista's eyes.
  "A-About me. I know that I'm not human. Who am I? Where am I from?"
  "Oh." Adalia stops. "What happened?"
  "There was a confrontation on our way to Vibestia." Aurelio says. "The enemy was inches away from killing us. I-I had never been more frightened..." Aurelio's voice began to sound tearful too. "Seeing us all like that... It must of triggered something in her. S-She transformed..."
  "There's a beast inside me Momma, and I can't control it." Callista whimpers. "I'm scared..."
  "Come here." Adalia brings the two close and hugs them again, patting their backs gently as they begin to cry gently on her shoulders.
  "I'm not ready for this... I-I thought I was, but I'm not..."
  "I know Aurelio. But you're safe here." Adalia says. "I understand that you're tired and scared. Why don't you go onto bed? You like you haven't slept well in a long while."
  Aurelio nods and Adalia kisses him on the forehead. She lets him go and he steps out of the room.
  Adalia looks at Callista and sighs. "You're not a beast sweetie. Just because you're not human doesn't mean you're not one of us. You're just as much my daughter as Aurelio is my son."
  "But what am I?" Callista asks. "What's this hungry feeling in my chest? Whenever we get into fights, i-it tells me to lash out. I-It makes my blood roil, I-I get hot and dizzy..."
  Adalia reaches over and grabs a spare cowl that she had lying by her throne. She wraps it around her shoulders. "C'mon, let's go to the church. They can explain it better than I can."
  "The church?"
  "Mm."

  Carrying Callista at her side, Adalia heads over and opens the gilded doors. The two head down a side hallway and out of the castle, into the now dark streets of the capital. They make their way across streets and alleyways and up to the front doors of the church. Adalia raps on the door and it's quickly answered by a cleric dressed in white.