Chapter 7: Attack at Rexeus

After stepping through massive tangles of low-hanging limbs, thick vines, and jagged brambles, the group enters a large, shaded clearing in the middle of the forest. Makeshift huts sat helterskelter in all directions, their rotting wooden walls barely held together by rusted nails.

  "Nobody sneeze or this place will fall apart." Aurelio jokes.
  "Heh, my people are nomadic, we have to be." Casey says with a dry chuckle. "We're bandits and thieves, if we stay in one place for too long, people become wary and suspicious. Temporary housing is all we can afford."

  Casey leads them towards a large building in the center of the clearing. He gently opens its creaking doors and signals for the group to follow him inside. Stained tapestries hung from the sinking rafters, and the smell of a moldy must drifted through the air. Various thieves and brigands dotted the building, quietly counting their coins or sharpening their knives.

  "Think of this place as my castle." Casey says. "And this lively lot here is my court. I understand these aren't the best accommodations, but please, make yourselves welcome."
  "Ah, so you've returned." A voice calls out as a figure approaches Casey. He was a young man--in his early twenties or so--with dark skin and white hair. His ears were pointed and his eyes were a bright yellow, which quickly caught Callista's attention. "I was wondering- Ian?"
  "Anselm?" Ian says, surprised. "What are you doing here?"
  "I could ask you the same."
  "I take it you two know each other?" Casey says.
  "We used to train together, even if it was only for a little while." Ian says.
  "Yes, that was quite some time ago, wasn't it?" Anselm smiles wistfully. "I suppose I should introduce myself to everyone. I am Anselm, and I am a mercenary who works to support my single mother and aunt."
  "What a noble cause." Aurelio says. "I'm Aurelio, prince of Arqferi."
  "Arqferi? Hm, that would mean our fathers knew each other..." Anselm says, sounding a bit disheartened. "But anyways, Casey, that girl you brought in earlier is being tended to as we speak."
  "Excellent. Anselm, would you do me a favor and round up the chefs? Tonight we shall feast, for tommorow we have a long path ahead of us."
  "Very well." Anselm heads off towards a separate room.
  "A long path?" Aurelio asks.
  "Of course. The road from here to Vibestia is a treacherous one, and I don't want us travelling on an empty stomach. It'll take a while for the food to prepare though, so until then, you all can wander as you please. Do be careful though, just because you all are guests doesn't mean your purses are safe. There are plenty of dogs here who'd steal from ya without hesitation."
  "Right, thank you for the warning King Casey. We'll take great heed in it." Ian says with a nod.
  "King?" Casey laughs. "There's no need for such formalities, I'm no different from the rest of you. Just call me whatever you see fit."

  Casey smiles and heads off towards the upper floor of the building. Maude sighs and goes to the infirmary in order to check on Alda. Ian makes his way towards the doors, but Callista stops him.

  "Hey Ian, you saw Anselm right?" She asks. "His eyes and ears, they're just like mine, why is that?"
  "Hm?" Ian seemed a bit surprised by the question. "They can't really be, can- oh, they really are aren't they? F-Forgive me Lady Callista, but I've never really paid much attention to your eyes."
  "You can't be serious Ian. Surely you've noticed that Aurelio and I look nothing alike. His eyes are brown, mine are yellow. His ears are round, mine are pointed. Why?"
  Ian sighs. "I have noticed Lady Callista, and I'm afraid your parents and I have been keeping something from you. For that, I am sorry."
  "Ian, what do you mean?"
  "Perhaps it's best we talk about this alone..."

  Ian takes Callista and steps out of the building, leaving behind Aurelio and Galatea. The doors shut behind them and Aurelio looks at Galatea.

  "So I guess that just leaves us huh?" Aurelio says.
  "So it would seem." Galatea says shyly.
  "Do you want to look around? I mean, it's not every day that we get out of the castle."
  "Truthfully, I wouldn't mind a spot to lay down for a moment." Galatea chuckles a bit. "I-It's been a long day..."
  "Yeah... I'm sure there's a chair or two somewhere in this place, let's take a look."