Chapter 14: Blizzard

Aurelio awoke and walked over towards the window. He looks outside, watching the waves on the ocean and sighs. The small patch of sand against water--a patch he vaguely remembered his mother saying that he'd one day share--filled him with a wistful nostalgia. Aurelio heads over to the small mirror in the back of his room and looks deeply at his fatigued, sallow face. His chin was unshaven, littered with thick scraggly strands of brown-black hair. He tried to imagine himself with a full beard and chuckles a bit. If he did grow one out, it would have to be a small one, unlike his father's.

  Aurelio gets dressed and examines himself in the mirror once again. It felt nice to be wearing new clothes, as opposed to the same tattered tunic stained with dirt and blood. He takes a deep breath, inhaling the salty sea air of his home. It was a pleasing smell, and yet it made him sick. He so badly wanted to leave Arqferi, and yet he didn't think he could bring himself to do it. Aurelio steps out of his room and heads down the stairs towards the dining hall. On his way there, Aurelio bumps into Galatea, kisses her promptly, and continues walking. He hungered. If that was the one thing he'd miss about his home, it would be the food.

  After eating his meal, Aurelio heads back upstairs towards the throne room. He steps inside and and stands before his mother and father. Callista stood next to him, her new Dragonstone dangling from her neck.

  "You wanted to see us?" Aurelio asks.
  "Mm." Arturo says. "It would seem that you two have gotten yourselves in quite a fix. You were simply supposed to escort our guests back to their homes, and yet here you are now, tasked with stopping Mortabe... I suppose it was inevitable, wasn't it?"
  "Indeed. ... Father, you never wanted to fight, did you?"
  "No, but it wasn't a matter I had a say in. It was either fight or watch my people rot away in darkness. I'd lost enough Aurelio, I couldn't afford to lose anyone else..." Arturo sighs. "I get it Aurelio, you're scared and you don't want to fight. You'd rather spend your time doing who-knows-what. I was the same way. But unlike your royal duties here, this is not something you can shirk. As much as it pains me to say this, you and your sister must stand up and fight. No father wants to let their children go, especially onto a field of battle, but when the fate of our world is at stake..."

  Arturo stands and sighs. He places his hands on their shoulders and looks them in the eyes. His fatherly, kingly hands--hands which hadn't gripped something firmly in years--were clamped tightly upon their shoulders. Arturo really didn't want to let them go. For the longest time, Aurelio viewed his father as a pacifistic king, a cowardly man who wouldn't draw back his bowstring should the moment arise, and he hated him for that; but now, Aurelio could see that wasn't entirely the case. His father had suffered at the hands of Mortabe and like him, it had left him terrified. But that was the difference between them. Arturo transformed his fear into an impetus, a determination. He was going to create a world where his children could live in peace and harmony, and if he could do it without ever nocking another arrow, without starting any more wars, that'd just be icing on the cake. He was bequeathed a kingdom and he intended for it to grow into a prosperous haven. But Aurelio? He didn't have that same impetus. He wanted to run, to abandon his home and his birthright. Instead of one day wearing his father's mantle with pride, he wanted to escape from it all. He was the coward, and a feeling of self-contempt grew within him. Aurelio hated the fact that he was letting himself be clouded by ideas of running away and of the selfish prospect it possessed. If he ran, if he abandoned his kingdom, what would become of his friends? His family? Aurelio decided then and there that he wouldn't allow the burden of his future kinghood be thrust upon someone else. It was burden that he and he alone would carry through with him to the grave. How could he have ever thought of abandoning his home?

  "Can you two promise me one thing?" Arturo asks.
  "Anything Father." Aurelio nods, a fiery fervor burning in his heart. His revelation had ignited a patriotic flame within him. By threatening to wipe out the world, Mortabe had made a threat to his kingdom and his family, and for that Aurelio was going to make him pay.
  "Promise me you'll come back in one piece, alright? I've already lost enough family, I don't think I could go on without you two..."
  "You can count on us." Callista says.
  "Don't get cocky just 'cause you've got a new toy." Aurelio chuckles teasingly. "It'll take more than a flashy necklace to beat Mortabe."
  "Me, cocky?" Callista scoffs. "You're the one who needs to step up Aurelio! It's about time you pulled your weight around here!"
  "Enough you two, save it for the battlefield." Adalia smiles. "Go on, I'm sure Ian and the others are patiently awaiting your arrival. You all are all set to head out, correct?"
  "We should be yes." Aurelio nods. "I trust Ian, but I'll do an inventory check just in case."