Chapter 4: Song, Sadness, and Impetus

Aurelio sat alone in his chamber, reading a book on the edge of his bed. It had been a few days since the encounter with the wyvern; and while neither he nor his sister were fatally injured, Arturo was now even more hesitant to let Aurelio fight. As Aurelio turned the page in his book, there was a faint knock at the door.

  "Come in." Aurelio says as he closes his book.

  The door opens and Galatea timidly steps inside. She looks at Aurelio and smiles weakly.

  "G-Good afternoon Aurelio." She says.
  "Good afternoon Galatea." Aurelio smiles.
  "A-Are you feeling alright? I heard about w-what happened in Tema, and I-I wanted to make sure that you weren't hurt."
  "Yeah, I'm fine. A bit stiff, but fine." Aurelio chuckles a bit. "Though Sister seems a bit shaken."
  "W-What do you mean?"
  "Admittedly I hadn't put much thought into it until now, but as of late she's hardly left her chamber." Aurelio sighs. "What happened at Tema has her awfully distraught."
  "P-Perhaps you should check on her?" Galatea says. "F-Family members need each other in times of pain."
  "True, though we haven't exactly seen each other eye-to-eye as of recently." Aurelio sighs, thinking back on his petty squabbles with Callista. "I imagine I'm one of the last she'd want to see..."
  "Y-You'll never know unless you go see." Galatea says. "Until then, I-I'll wait here. We... w-we had a training session planned, r-remember?"
  "Trai-? Oh! I completely forgot all about that! I'm terribly sorry Galatea, I hope a haven't kept you waiting."
  Galatea smiles. "I-It's nothing, you're sister i-is more important right now a-anyways. O-Our session can wait, though she m-might not be able to."

  Aurelio nods and steps out into the hallway, making his way towards Callista's chamber. On the way down however, Aurelio bumps into Ian.

  "Good afternoon Lord Aurelio." Ian says. He had two small envelopes in his hand. "Where are you off to, if you don't mind my asking?"
  "To Callista's chamber." Aurelio replies. "I was going to check on her."
  "Check? Hm, I suppose it is true that I haven't seen her in a while, I do hope that she's doing alright." Ian sighs and hands the envelopes to Aurelio. "These came in earlier, addressed to both you and your sister. Since you're heading that way, would you care to hand Lady Callista's hers?"
  "Sure." Aurelio nods. "Where did these letters come from, just out of curiosity?"
  "I'm afraid I do not know, the seals they're marked with are unlike any I've ever seen before."
  Aurelio looks down at the stamped wax that sealed the envelopes. "Yeah, I don't recognize this crest either... They can't be anything too important though, otherwise I'm sure Father would've gotten one too."

  Aurelio takes the letters and makes his way towards Callista's chamber. He stands before the door and knocks.

  "Sister, are you alright?" Aurelio asks. There was no response. Aurelio gently pushes the door inward, and to his surprise, it wasn't locked. "I'm coming in!"

  Aurelio fully opens the door and steps into his sister's room. The chamber's sole window had been obscured by a long sheet crudely draping over it, leaving the room completely dark. Aurelio begins to look around the room, treading lightly as the room was terribly disorganized.

  "Geez, it's messier than my room..."

  Aurelio looks over and sees Callista lying curled up in bed. She was wrapped up in several blankets which made it to were only her head was visible. Her bright yellow eyes cut through the darkness, standing out like neon beacons that pierced Aurelio with angry glares. She grumbles softly and retreats further into her blanket shell.

  "What do you want?" She asks, her tone harsh.
  "I was just checking to see if you were still alive Sister." Aurelio says jokingly, but then his voice becomes stern. "Seriously though, are you alright? It's not like you to act like this."
  "Why, should I be prancing about like some kind of animal?!" She spits spitefully.
  "Geez-"
  "Don't 'geez' me Aurelio! All the things you've been saying lately have been really hurtful! Apologize!"
  "'Apologize?' Callista, you know I didn't mea-"
  "Apologize! Right now!" Callista angrily throws a pillow at Aurelio, her voice beginning to crack.
  "Alright Sister, I'm sorry!" Aurelio says, rubbing his nose as the pillow bounces off of his face.
  "You don't mean that!" Callista says, still sounding furious.
  "Yes, I do." Aurelio says, walking over to the edge of Callista's bed. "Really, what's the matter with you? We argue all the time and it's never bothered you before. What did I say?"
  "I-It's not anything you said." Callista says, her eyes beginning to tear up. "I- It's when we were in Tema, w-when we encountered that wyvern... W-When my eyes met its, in that brief moment, I-I felt something Aurelio--something inhuman... I-I felt the same things it did, I felt like an animal!"