Chapter 11: The Return

Galatea moans quietly as she opens her eyes. She looks over and sees Aurelio over by her side and smiles weakly.

  "Good morning." He says, smiling back. "Did you sleep well?"
  "Like a rock." She replies groggily, rubbing gently at her temples. "Ngh... I feel awful... How can you still look so good?"
  "Well I didn't nearly hit the bottle nearly as hard as you did." Aurelio figured that it'd be best not to tell Galatea about his encounter with Meru given her current condition and he doubted that she'd believe it anyway. He sighs. "Heh, though perhaps I should've with everything that's going on... Regardless, we should probably try to make our way back towards the rest of the group, I'm sure they're worried senseless."
  "I suppose you're right." Galatea stumbles onto her feet and reluctantly gets dressed, sliding her armor back one piece at a time over her stained clothes. She takes a glance at her reflection on the lake's edge and then runs her fingers through her hair with a sigh. "I look terrible..."
  "You look fine." Aurelio says as he kisses her gently on the cheek. "Even caked in sand you're still the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."
  "Thank you Aurelio." She smiles. "You're sweet."

  The two look out at the lake one last time before reluctantly stepping out of the threshold of the clearing and back into dreadful darkness of the gnarled forest. They stumble blindly about through the bloodstained brambles, tightly clutching each other's hands as to not lose one another. After what felt like an eon of aimless crawling, Aurelio and Galatea finally reemerge in the Rexian clearing. They head towards the main building in the center and open its creaky wooden doors gently. Aurelio looks around and sees no one in the main lobby. He looks at Galatea with a faint smile.

  "It doesn't look like anyone's awake just yet." He says. "We could sneak back to our rooms and no one would be any the wiser-"
  "Not quite Lord Aurelio." A voice coolly says and the two nearly jump out of their skins. It was Ian, who wore a very expression on his face. "And just where have you been? I've been waiting for you all night and nearly all morning for you know."
  "As have I." Maude says. She and Ian stood in the door frame of the main meeting hall where the rest of the group was seated, discussing who-knows-what with one another. "You've had me worried half to death Galatea. Explain yourself, and as a royal knight, I expect you to have full honesty and to take full responsibility for your actions."
  "Would you believe us if I said we went camping?" Aurelio says with a nervous chuckle.
  "This isn't a joking matter Lord Aurelio, we were seriously concerned for your safety. Maude and I spent no telling how many hours searching last night." He sighs. "Perhaps I shouldn't complain, you two appear to be fine. Could you imagine what your mother would do to me if you got hurt?"
  They both shudder slightly at the thought of Queen Adalia's ferocity. Maude shakes her head and looks at Galatea. "You're still just a rookie you know, and so it's my job to look after you. Where were you? Why are you all matted and sandy?"
  "W-Well-" Galatea starts. Her voice was meek and tearful.
  "She was taking a walk out by the forest." Aurelio interjects. "I was too and when we crossed paths we started talking. I guess we just lost track of the time."
  "Is that right?" Maude asks. Galatea nods. "Hmph, either you two possess more bravery than I or Casey provided you with more ale than necessary, because I sure as hell wouldn't spend the night in a place like that. Perhaps he's the one who needs upbraiding and not you two..."
  "Agreed." Ian says. "Someone like him is a terrible influence on you all. Being a drunken swashbuckler isn't a life fit for children, just ask my father... Regardless, all that matters now is that you two are safe; and now that you're here, we should get going, we haven't a moment to spare."
  "And where are we heading?" Aurelio asks.
  "You're going to get cleaned up." Maude says to Galatea. "Whatever you did on that 'walk,' it's left you filthy. You'll have to excuse our absence Ian."
  "Don't worry about it Maude, do what you must. Aurelio and I can handle things from here."