Chapter 5: Beginning of a Journey

"Hey Ian." Aurelio says with an exhausted breath. The two had just finished their daily training in the barracks.
  "Yes Lord Aurelio?" Ian replies as he sheathes his lance.
  "That letter you gave me and Callista yesterday, it was an invitation."
  "An invitation? How peculiar."
  "Peculiar?"
  "Well you hardly ever receive any mail My Lord, let alone an invitation to something." Ian says with a bit of a chuckle. "I guess you could say it's a bit strange."
  "I suppose." Aurelio sighs.
  "Regardless, you don't plan on going do you? After what happened in Tema, the King would prefer it if you didn't go anywhere."
  "Of course I plan on going Ian, it's rude to decline an invitation." Aurelio says. "I've yet to ask Callista if she's going, but I imagine she'll jump at any chance she can get to get out of the castle."
  "Very well, I'll go with you. Lady Callista as well if she decides to join us. Just where was it you were invited to anyway?"
  "Some guy named Casey requested to see us. The invite said that he was the King of Rexeus." Aurelio shakes his head. "But I've never heard of such a place. The name's yet to show up in any of my books or on any of my maps..."
  "That's because it's not supposed to." Ian says bluntly. "Rexeus is a kingdom of thieves and brigands. Hundreds of shadowy families live there in unison, bound together by their own sense of honor."
  "It sounds more like some sort of secrets society as opposed to a kingdom..." Aurelio sighs. "How do you know of it?"
  "A group of Rexians often sought out my father's services while he was still a mercenary. From what I've heard, if you can look past a Rexian's shadowy appearance, they're rather nice people. Many are 'gentlemanly' thieves and the whatnot."
  "That right?" Aurelio says with a bit of a chuckle. "But anyway, do you know how to get to Rexeus?"
  "I'm afraid I do not." Ian sighs.

  A figure could be heard coming down the stairs and into the barracks. It was Alda, dressed in her black cowl and bladed armor. Her knife was held tightly in hand. Aurelio hadn't noticed it before, but Alda's knife was rather different compared to most knives he'd seen before. The blade was curved and seemed to be coated in a strange, glassy looking material, potentially obsidian or some other volcanic glass. It gave off a fiery heat, and the blade's warmth was strong enough that Aurelio could feel it from where he was standing. He wondered if it was a divine weapon, similar to the one wielded by Ian or his father.

  "What're doing trying to get into Rexeus?" Alda asks. "That's not exactly a place for kids like you."
  "I was invited." Aurelio says, pulling the paper invitation from out of his pocket.
  "That looks like Casey's handwriting..." Alda says, examining the crumpled paper. "What does he want with you?"
  "I dunno, all it says is that he wants to see Callista and me." Aurelio sighs.
  "I guess it's a good thing I know how to get there then, eh?" Alda smiles.
  "Mm, I spent a lot of time in Rexeus back in the day. Casey and I know each other pretty well."

  Alda sighs and puts her knife away. She looks over at Ian and then toward the back of the barracks where the training gear was kept.

  "I'm not interrupting anything am I?" She asks.
  "No, Lord Aurelio and I had just finished our training for the day." Ian replies.
  "Good, then if the kid's done, I need him to come with me."
  "What for?" Aurelio asks.
  "Well, I was gonna do a bit of training myself, but I guess that can wait." Alda sighs. "Maude wants a word with you. C'mon."
  "Really? Alright."

  Aurelio and Alda head back up the steps and exit the barracks. Without walking very far, Alda steps over to a chamber door and pushes it open. She walks inside, bringing Aurelio with her. Sitting cross-legged in the center of the floor was Maude. A large map was sprawled out at her feet, covered in inky circles. Maude looked closely over the map, a dripping quill held tightly in her hand. Alda pushes the door behind her, alerting Maude of their presence.

  "You didn't train long." Maude says.
  "Hadn't started yet." Alda sighs. "I figured you could use some assistance."
  "Assistance?" She looks up and sees Aurelio, much to her surprise. "Prince Aurelio? What are you doing here?"
  "Alda said you wanted to speak with me." Aurelio says. "What are you doing?"
  "Well, I hadn't exactly planned on speaking with you, though I suppose since Alda drug you out here, I could use a little help, if you're willing of course." Maude sighs and points at the map with her quill. "I'm trying to find the safest way back to Vibestia."
  "You're already heading back to Vibestia?" Aurelio asks. "You all haven't even been here a week yet."
  "Unfortunately yes." Maude says. "You've been an excellent host Aurelio, but I'd hate for us to overstay our welcome. Besides, if we don't head back soon, there won't be a Vibestia for us to return to. If we let Sieghild have her way, our homes will be turned to nothing more than rubble and dust. Not to mention there's nothing to stop her. What if she comes here next?"
  "I suppose that's a valid point..." Aurelio sighs, but then perks back up. "What if I came with you? I'm already heading to Rexeus."
  "What? What for?"
  "No one knows." Alda sighs. "But maybe we should bring him with us. I already have to take him to see Casey, and Vibestia isn't too terribly far from Rexeus; well, the capital isn't anyway, and I imagine that's where we'll find Sieghild. Besides, you never know when we could use someone like him. You're a tactician yeah?"
  "Well, I'm striving to be one anyway." Aurelio chuckles. He looks down towards Maude and her map. "So how about it? I'll need to let Callista and Ian know for sure."
  "I suppose..." Maude sighs reluctantly. "As long as it's alright with the king and queen."
  "Yeah... they'll be fine with it..." Aurelio says hesitantly. It would seem that Maude and Alda didn't know about the travel ban Arturo had placed on him. "Shall we leave come morning?"
  "That's fine by me." Maude says. "Now then, could you give me a hand with this map?"