Chapter 3: A Dark Encounter

Ian and Aurelio stared at each other from opposite ends of the training field. Both of them stood quietly, breathing heavily; they'd been training for quiet some time now. Ian sighs and sheathes his lance, the Robusta, a divine lance that his mother once wielded in battle.

  "You're awful good at dodging attacks Lord Aurelio," Ian says. "And I understand that, you're a Mage, and so you must keep your distance. But when it comes to fighting, there's more to it than just dodging. You can't just sit back and what for an opening to appear. What if the enemy doesn't give you that chance? Sometimes you have to strike first Lord Aurelio. You're training to be a tactician, are you not? I don't imagine you need me to tell you all this."
  "Yeah, I know." Aurelio sighs. "But with a weapon like mine Ian, I can't afford to get too close. Evading and then countering is really the only way I can make myself useful out on the field."
  "Then perhaps you should fight using a different weapon. Or at the very least, acquire a tome with a further range..."
  "But I don't want to use a different weapon Ian, magic is what comes naturally to me."
  "I'm not saying you have to give up magic, but I am telling you to be a bit more weary of the situations around you. That, and I'd prefer for you to fight with a different weapon, if you ever have to fight at all. Perhaps you could use an axe like your sister. They're a bit rare, but surely you've heard of Bolt Axes? I'm sure we could get fitted with one nicely."
  "Tomes are just fine." Aurelio sighs. "I can think on my feet, so don't worry so much Ian. I'm not going to let the enemy outsmart me."
  Ian smiles weakly. "Lord Aurelio, it's my job to worry about you."
  "You're trying a bit too hard though," Aurelio chuckles. "Everyone needs a break from time to time, you should take it easy for a little while."
  "Ha, when you can prove to me that you can truly defend yourself in a fight Lord Aurelio, perhaps I'll take a break then." Ian's smile widens. "Until then, we'll be having practices every day from sun-up to noon, starting tommorow."
  "At sun-up?" Aurelio grumbles. "For real?"
  "Yes, for real." Ian chuckles and begins to gather up the training weapons left behind by the soldiers in order to put them away. "You two are dismissed. Oh, but before you go, I do believe your father wanted to see you all about something. I didn't catch what for, but I do believe it was important, so please make haste."

  Aurelio and Callista exit the training room of the barracks as Ian begins to tidy up. They head across the hallway and down the stairs into the main room on the ground floor where Arturo was waiting for them.

  "You wanted to see us Father?" Aurelio asks.
  "Yes," Arturo replies. "Though I really only requested for your appearance Aurelio. What are you doing here Callista?"
  "Ian said you were looking for the both of us." Callista says. "Besides, anywhere Aurelio goes, I go too."
  "He must have misheard me, but no matter. You two are practically joined at the hip, I should've expected this." Arturo sighs. "Aurelio, you said you wanted to help the Vibestians, correct?"
  "That's right, though I thought you said I couldn't fight?" Aurelio says, still feeling slightly bitter.
  "Well, I'm giving you a chance. I've received a report from Ewan saying that there's been some trouble in Tema, a place better known colloquially as the thieving town. I don't imagine a skirmish will ensue, but you never can be too sure with the people down there... Do you think you two can you two handle it?"
  "Without a shadow of a doubt Father." Aurelio says confidently. "Whatever's happening down there will be taken care of, I'm sure of it."
  "Well then, get going." Arturo says. "I know of your aversion to horses, so I haven't had any prepared. It's a long walk from here to Tema."
  "You're scared of horses?" Callista asks as she and Aurelio step through the grand doors of the castle.
  "Not really scared per se, I just... don't like them very much." Aurelio replies.
  "Sounds to me like you're scared."
  "I am not!"

  Callista laughs as the two set out towards the thieving town Tema, a small town that sat at the edge of Pagni, a ruined kingdom from the ancient age.