Chapter 20

Recap: "Silence!" My father shouted once more, "Let it be the children's choice."

__________________________

Selena's POV (Safora):

__________________________

"What! You can't be serious!" Yelled a pack member as she held onto her daughter tightly.

"You're insane! A child cannot make that kind of decision for themselves!" Another pack member yelled from across the room. 

"They can, and they are the only ones who can help now," My father said calmly.

"Yes," said a woman sitting down with a hand placed lovingly over her abdomen. "Tell them."

"What?!" Shouted the man next to her. "What if it was our child?!"

"Exactly," the woman who I knew as Sally stated calmly. "What if it was our child up there in that room? What if our child had only a few days to live unless someone else's kid was willing to give up their life for our child? Imagine all of the pain that that poor girl has been through. Imagine losing your wolf."

"But she is a rouge!" Mason protested.

"Is that all you care about?!" Sally yelled, rage filling her eyes and voice. Her mate placed a hand onto her shoulder and she calmed down almost instantly. "She needs someone now. That is what matters."

"Let's tell the children!" Someone else in the room spoke up. 

There were some murmurs of discontent before someone said, "It is all that we can do for her. Let us at least tell the children." This time there were shouts of agreement throughout the room and those adjoining. 

"Simon," my father began, turning to one of his warriors, causing the room to fall into silence once more, "Call for the children and meet us outside."

As everyone filled out of the room and into the yard my father stopped me. "Yes?" I asked.

"You did a great job. You would have made a great alpha of this pack. With or without a mate." He said patting me on the back.  As I was thanking him, I saw Mason looking at me from the corner of my eye. I turned to look at him and found longing and a twinge of regret in his gaze. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see my sister. "Come on," she said giving me a slight push. "Let's go out and get that girl some help."

We passed Mason on the way outside and Sarah stopped so I followed suit. "We are going to help that girl now jackass. Don't even think of touching her or my sister!" She said with venom dripping from each word. Mason shrank back as if each word was a blow to the gut.

He said nothing as we walked outside. 

My sister and I entered the backyard and found all of the children gathered on the grass. Some were pulling up handfuls of grass. Others were talking to their friends. One boy had his arm draped across a girl's shoulders. After their parents had gathered as well, Simon nodded at us and we began.

"Children of the Silverbeam Pack," I called, gaining their attention. "We have gathered you here  to ask if any of you would be willing to give up your wolf in order to save a girl's life." 

"This girl's wolf has been pulled from her and must be replaced or she will pass on," Sarah continued. 

A child with spiky blonde hair raised his hand. "Yes?" Sarah asked pointing at him.

"What would happen if we gave up our wolf?" The young boy asked.

"Yes," came a taunting voice from the doorway. "What would happen?" 

My sister looked at me and I nodded for her to answer, "You would die and your mate would become her's." A chorus of child-like growls rippled through the clearing. The boy with is arm wrapped around the girl's shoulders pulled her closer as his bright blue eyes turned black. The girl in his arms petted his head and he calmed down. 

Mason looked smug. "So kids, what these outsiders are asking you to do is give up your one chance at a mate and your life for someone you don't know. A rouge no less. Do you really want to loose your one chance at happiness for that thing upstairs?"

"You would know all about loosing mates wouldn't you?" Sarah said accusingly. 

"Yes, even now I still miss my first mate. I wish we could have had a life together," Mason said with fake sadness falling from his mouth as he hung is head to hide the anger and hatred he held in his eyes.

"Your fake sadness and lies are getting on my nerves. We already know you rejected her and then forced someone else to be your mate! Just admit it already!" Damien yelled shaking with anger.

Mason looked shocked. "What are you talking about?"

"As if you don't know!" Sarah yelled at him. 

"Enough!" I shouted, Alpha command slipping through in my annoyance. "This is not why we are here!" I turned and faced the children and gave them a soft smile. "Is there anyone here who would be willing to give up their wolf and their life?"

My question was met with silence. I sighed and nodded. "Think about it for a bit."

"But she only has two days!" Sarah exclaimed. 

I shook my head at her. "I know what this means to you but it must be their choice."