IX | Memories of the Youth

Many times, sorrow not known to others could only be released in dreams as though it was engraved in the heart and no matter how hard you ignored it, it would explode at the slightest touch, erupting into million pieces, inflicting an unbearable and endless pain.

Sophia had always been an average student with mediocre grades and had entered a local university.

Even though Sophia and Isabelle weren't biological sisters, they still came from the same ancestral home, and ever since Isabelle's parents died in a car accident, she had been living in the same house as Sophia, forming a tie akin to that of sisters.

Sophia left her hometown and would often call Isabelle and James, inviting them to come over. After multiple invites, Isabelle and James finally caved, flying over during winter.

The city was similar, both flourishing cities without much for play. Hence, Sophia suggested they head over to NY.

James had no objections and, since Alexander was there, Isabelle obviously didn't have any objections either. The three of them then headed for NY.

James and Alexander were biological brothers with different mothers but they had always been close. With just a phone call, James managed to successfully invite Alexander out.

They stayed for four days and Alexander accompanied them through all of them. After spending four days and twelve meals together, Isabelle managed to get closer to Alexander than in the four years they had spent as schoolmates.

On the last day in NY, they visited the shopping mall. As girls, she and Sophia wanted to buy all the pretty things there and, since they had always been close to James, who was rich, they spent his money mercilessly.

Spending a few thousand on a simple item was a usual occurrence for the three of them, but Alexander grew increasingly silent, the light in his eyes dimming as he saw them spending money so freely. In the end, he threw an excuse before going to the washroom. Sitting in one of the tiny cubicles, he took long deep puffs from his cigarette, quickly finishing the whole box he had in his pocket. Just then, they called to ask where he was.

In NY, Isabelle added Alexander on a social app and would often find an excuse to talk to him when she returned. Even though they were only making small talk, the conversation never seemed to end.

As long as their hearts were close, distance was not an issue.

At that time, there was already a one-hour train ride between where Alex and Sophia used to live. Hence, Isabelle would often visit Sophia and together they would make their way over to NY, stating that it was more fun there. Once she was in NY, she would ask Alexander for a meal jokingly.

Everytime, Alexander would accept her request, bringing her and Sophia out for a meal.

By the fourth year of her university, Isabelle had accumulated a thick stack of train tickets, and plane tickets.

Each stack of tickets represented a meeting she had had with Alexander.

Oh, not true! The stack minus three would be the accurate representation for the number of meetings they had had.

Yes, he had not met her three times she went over.

Before the first time he had refused to meet her, she had went over to Sophia's as usual, but since she hadn't informed her prior to her arrival, she had gone to France with her friends, leaving her alone.

Unfamiliar with the city, she took the train down to NY. This was the first time she had gone down alone. Previously, she would always have the company of Sophia or James. Throughout the entire train ride, she was trying to figure out an excuse to meet Alexander.