50

"The judge finds the defendant guilty."

"The defendant is sentenced to eight years imprisonment."

She just stares with wide open eyes.

She stops hearing what the court and her attorney are saying as her heartbeat quickens. Reality was starting to set in. This wasn't a nightmare. She was going to prison.

Everything happened so quickly and unfairly. Time was moving so rapidly
that it seemed as though she never had the chance to say her own final words.

A feeling of despair builds in her body the moment she feels the cold handcuffs wrapped around her wrist. Her attention wonders to a sorrowful mother being comforted by her husband while she is knelt. Then to faces of strangers who were grieving with her. They all seem to get further and further away and blurry to the innocent.

Why me?

No one pitied her.

"As a mother, having to say goodbye to my child one last time before seeing her get buried is the most painful thing I have ever done in my life. Knowing that I will never see my little girl's smile or have her in my arms is heartbreaking. My daughter is dead because of you, Seo Eunji and I hope it haunts you every second."

"My daughter is dead
because of you."

"My daughter is dead-"

And how could it not haunt her? She was reminded of it every time she was in this cell. Every time she ate or had to work. When she was in the dark, trying to hide her cries from being heard.

"You're going to be okay." But it wasn't.

It was the same every day. She had never felt more miserable than she did at the moment. It was difficult to even finish a meal. To get up for early checking. To close her eyes for a second to feel peace.

Three months have slowly passed and Eunji started to believe their words. Began to accept the guilt for something that she had never done because she was the one who decided to end a life. The one who ran-away so they wouldn't suspect it was her. So she had no reason to be shocked or upset that no one liked her. Their justification of hate was reasonable.

It had gone like that until one of the guards had interrupted her reading and instructed her to follow them. She had never expected to see the place where visitors are seated in. Never expected to see her sister, waiting for her.

The first thing Soojin notices is how weak Eunji looks. The dark circles under her eyes that were never there before, lips grey and bloodied, and pale skin. The obvious weight loss and bruised fingers. She never thought it would leave so much damage.

Soojin was so engrossed with her new look that she didn't notice Eunji saying her name. It ends when the younger taps on the window to earn her attention. "Sorry didn't mean too." She apologizes. "How are you?"