4. Tell Me to Stay

They spent the next week and a bit like that. Whenever Cas wasn't in class, he was with Dean and when he wasn't with Dean, it was as though he'd left some part of him there, so really, he was always with Dean. It made doing as well as he usually did in his classes impossible. His professors continuously asked him if he was okay and Cas would say that he was perfect, and they would shake their heads and smile as though they knew exactly what Castiel was thinking. He wasn't doing badly. Cas could never do badly. It was just very difficult to stop thinking about Dean and focus on whatever he was doing at the time. 

So are you and Dean together yet? Anna texted from beside him in his Psychology as some film started playing.

I don't know… Cas replied. Because he didn't know. So far, the hugging and kissing was at a minimum and the two were still in the process of getting to know each other. Dean was determined to know Cas before things got too serious. Cas took this as a good sign.

Then you better have a good excuse for not hanging out with me. >.<

Can we talk later?

Sure, sure 

Cas smiled at Anna and tucked his phone away. He needed someone to talk to. Someone to unload all of this stuff on and Anna was the only person. She was his only real friend. If it wasn't Anna, Cas' life would just be filled with 'acquaintances'. Take Balthazar for instance.  Castiel would stop and chat with Balthazar, but it wasn't as though they'd ever hang out together. Cas suspected that that was partially due to the fact that Balthazar was afraid Cas would fall in love with him. That, of course, was ridiculous.

After class, Anna cornered Cas and folded her arms, glaring at him. "Tell me everything."

"Where do you want me to start?"

"Start with…. How come I never realised that he's gay? I can usually tell those things." It was true. She did. Cas never had to tell her. It had just been one of those things that both of them knew.

"He said that he didn't know he was gay…"

"So you're just an experiment?" 

Cas cringed into the cold stone wall. That thought had never occurred to him. He'd been so caught up in his euphoric state that he'd never stopped to think of anything like that.

"Also, how did he know that you're gay? Do you just radiate rainbows of something?"

Cas frowned. He wished she'd stop talking. 

"Maybe he went and asked someone… dug up some dirt on you…" Anna was pretty much just talking to herself now.

"Stop, Anna. Just stop."

Anna stopped in the middle of another painful sentence. "God, Cas, I'm sorry. I'm not being very best friendly am I?" She smiled apologetically and rubbed Cas' arm.

He looked down at his vest and adjusted the cuffs on his navy blue shirt. "I like Dean. I really like him. He said he likes me too and I trust him."

"I know," Anna said softly, pulling Cas in for a hug. "All that matters is that you trust him. Nothing else is important. Only… be careful. Guys like Dean are the sort of guys who freak out about their sexuality." She gave him a gentle kiss on the cheek and waved a goodbye. Off to go watch some TV, most likely.

Cas stood against the wall for another few minutes, trying to calm his stomach. As he adjusted the strap of his backpack on his shoulder, Cas headed back to his dorm. He didn't get there, however. He spotted Dean sitting by the fountain in the courtyard and doubled back to get another look. Yep that was Dean.  Sitting on the concrete edge of the fountain next to an extremely tall guy. Cas went over to them.