Chapter 1

Okay guys, this is the first chapter! I am so happy that you're reading this right now. ;)

Chapter 1

There was a frenzy of colors in front of my eyes. Just warm colors. But the more I see it, the warmth started turning into the scorching heat. The yellow turned more into orange and then a bright scarlet red. It was everywhere. I tried to move away from it, but it came closer, then it touched me. It hurt. It burned.

I tried to get away as much as I could, but something was pulling me back.

"Mika! Mika!" I kept hearing it over and over, a loop of those voices in my head. From afar, I could see my little sister trying to grab my hand. She was so close, but the red hot iron rod that I used to hang scarfs on fell on her hand. She screamed a blood-curdling scream, and it died down, just like she did.

My name was repeated again and again. My parents to the side, charred from the flame, and my sister's lifeless hand sticking out. The flame started getting closer to me. I felt like I was the only gazelle in a forest filled with lions. I fell to my knees, fisting my hair. I've lost everything. The last thing I saw that day was a man from afar with a spine-chilling grin through my tear-filled eyes.

My eyes shot open as I gasped and choked for breath. I brought my hands to my cold, wet face to wipe off the sweat. I usually got these nightmares. I should get used to it, but I can't, no matter how much I try. It's been two years since that fire happened. Two years since I let go of my family. Two years since my life has been a mess. I wasn't like who I was before.

I got out of bed and trudged to the bathroom. Squinting my eyes, I turned on the bathroom light, to see the horrid reflection of myself in the mirror.

Many used to say that I looked like Mom. Fair, porcelain skin and natural blush that dusted my cheeks. My platinum blonde hair complimented my dark blue eyes. The two differences between the two of us were that I had a button nose which I got from Dad and Mom had an upturned nose. I also have freckles around my nose, which Mom does not.

I turned on the faucet to wash my face and hopefully vanish any signs of my nightmare. I had to.

I looked down at my fingers. I have a habit of biting my nails. I never liked having long nails. But I don't have a choice, so I walk around every day with long acrylic nails. It has to be that way.

After I brushed my teeth, I stripped my clothes off and stepped into the shower, trying not to step away as the hot water burned my skin. I grabbed each and every soap and body exfoliating toiletry that I had in reach. I scrubbed every inch of my skin, leaving absolutely nothing behind, trying to conceal the tears that were starting in my eyes. Disgust, anger, hurt, every negative feeling that I could ever think of was invading all the cells in my body. I didn't want to do anything anymore.

Then, there comes my closet. The walk-in closet that was filled with clothes. I never had one when my parents were... there for me. Half of my closet was filled with my clothes, whereas the other half was for my sister. Though she stole some of my clothes, I didn't mind. It was usually my sweatshirts. She gave it back at the end. The memory made my heart feel a little heavy, knowing that I'd never see her again.

Now, this whole closet was filled with clothes for only me. There were absolutely no sweatshirts in here. Well, except for one. The only one, which was half burnt. The one that was the only memory of my sister. She wore it so many times, just to show her friends.

"I'm not shy. I'm just really comfy and a little emo," it said on the back of it. It was true, too. She loved wearing black and wore eyeliner to school every day, even though she hated makeup. She was told that she looked cool and kinda scary with eyeliner. She liked how people called her that, so she continued to use it.