Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I giggled as I felt myself go into the air. The warm sunlight hit my face, making me squint my eyes. I loved the weather. The warm breeze around us made it a wonderful environment for so many people to talk, for kids to play, and have fun with our pets running around.

In the background, I heard so many noises. The meat patties sizzling over the barbecue grill, the dogs barking as their owners throw tennis balls for them to fetch, and the group of moms laughing loudly.

"Daddy put me down!" I giggled as he threw me up in the air. "I want to play with my friends." He placed me down on the ground and kissed me on the cheek. I laughed when his stubble tickled my cheek.

"Be careful, okay?" I nodded and ran off to play with my friends. I continued to run to my friends, Cory and Eliza. The three of us were in the same class every year and were like the Three Musketeers. We were inseparable.

"Eliza!" I yelled and hugged her.

"Mika!" She yelled back. We were on summer break. It's reasonable to why we were yelling and hugging each other.

"Where did you go for one month?" I asked her. We were still holding hands as we walked to the bench to talk.

"I went to my grandma's place. It's in Texas."

I laughed when she mimicked a horse and then a rancher. It was funny, of course! She was always the one to make me laugh if I needed some happiness or not. She's always there for me.

"Stop it! My stomach hurts from laughing so much." I wiped away my tears and got up from the ground. Yes, she made me laugh so hard I fell on the ground.

It was the best moment, but something- or should I say someone- made the moment terrible. From behind me, I heard a group of boys laughing from beside me.

"Yeah. Go ahead and cry, you cry baby." I turned around to see the same group of boys who made mostly the same comments every single day.

"Well, you are a cry baby, too!" I told the main person in the group, Alex.

"How can you say that to me?" He asked, annoyed by both my appearance and my height (I assume).

"I mean, I saw you crying yesterday by that tree over there." I pointed to the large willow tree where most of the parents decided to hang out.

I heard his friends "Oooooooohhhhh" and snicker. His face turned red with embarrassment before he biked off to God knows where.

His other friends had other plans, however.

The one who didn't snicker when I talked back to Alex came up to me and pushed me to the ground and smirked. It's funny how everyone finds amusement and happiness in other's failures and discomforts.

I got up from the ground, only to be pushed by them again. This time, it was harder, making my elbow scratched and I whimpered. I didn't want to show that I was weak, but it just came out. I just had to. After a good minute of telling me how much of an annoying person I am, they left, leaving me and Eliza to stay there.

Mom saw me sitting down on the ground while holding my elbow. I really wished she didn't see me crying on the ground.

She knelt on the ground in front of me, cupping my cheek to get rid of my tears.

She opened her bag to get out some of the disinfecting spray and a band-aid to clean and cover the wound.

"You're a strong girl." I hissed as she sprayed the spray on the injury.