Chapter 8

Oh WHAT THE HELL. I couldn't stop myself from posting this chapter. I like this chapter... kinda. So, here it is :)

~Chapter 8

I walked to school today. I've said before that I hated to take a car to school and the places I can walk to. Plus, it's California. I'd like to enjoy the weather while I can.

I used to walk to school with my sister. She'd always want to go on the bus since most of her friends were on her bus, but she walked with me because she kinda felt bad for me. I was left out in conversations most of the time. I might have been the older one, but my sister always had the spotlight, and I was happy for her.

I never liked to interact with people in the first place. That's one reason I'd like to be a botanist. I could "converse" with plants. At least they won't care if I make a ton of mistakes when talking to them.

My sister was popular in school since she loved soccer and she had a lot of friends. She was beautiful as well. Her hair was black like my dad's and her eyes were blue, just like mine. Because of her uncommon hair and eye color combination, she was noticed very quickly. She had an upturned nose like out mom and she had a clear face without any freckles. I hated freckles, but I learned to like them with time.

No one would have guessed we were sisters. She would try to give me the spotlight sometimes, but I'd just push her to go on without me.

As I was thinking about my sister, I felt my phone vibrate in the back of my pocket. I opened it to see who it was.

"Anna-Marie, why are you calling right now?" I chewed on a granola bar that I got from home.

"I heard from Officer Calahan that she told the school about Shayla's death." I think she was eating something.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say. What else could I have said?

"If they have an assembly, don't be surprised."

"Seems... fun. I'd want to see what people would have thought of me. I know that so many people hated me. Who knows what it's going to be like?"

"Well, have fun at your 'first' day of school." She emphasized the word "first".

"Thanks."

"Don't stress. Be yourself. I know you'll make some friends today."

We conversed a little longer until I came to school. I wiped my sweaty palms on my thighs. Nervousness isn't good for health.

I went straight to the office, where I know people can get their schedules. I felt many eyes on me, especially from the students in my grade. I think they were aware that I was a new student, and I might be in their classes.

I opened the door to the office and waited until the secretary came.

"Good morning. I'm a new student. I need my schedule." I said, giving her a smile. She smiled back and looked through the box of files. It felt good to have someone give you a real smile in a long time.

"Here you are, Mikayla Park."

"Thank you so much."

"Have a nice day."

I walked through the corridors while looking through my schedule. Math, Biology, English, History, Spanish, Physical Education, and Photography. It's sad that I don't get a period for study hall to do extra work.

Great. I start my day off with math each day.

I have to go to Room 140.

I'm glad that no one was in the corridors. It would make it seem that I am actually new.